Thursday, July 19, 2018

Little Known Fireworks

I got my best kiss
During some
Little known fireworks


Pops and bangers
And the hood of my car
Was nice and cool
Because it was hot out
That night


It’s usually hot
By the time we have the church festival
And I wasn’t planning on going
But my girlfriend said
Jim would be there
And that was all it took
To get me off my rear end
And into the car


The rule about the church festival is
You’re going to see at least ten people you don’t like
As soon as you get there


There’s this one and that one
And you gotta fight your way through a crowd
Before you finally get to a friend
Or somebody you can talk to
For a few minutes


Before you go get something to eat
Or just stand around drinking
Wondering when you can go home


There’s not a lot to do around here


The city’s only ten minutes away
But people like to stay close to home
Even when home ain’t all that nice


Jim was flipping burgers
And when he caught my eye…


I just sort of smiled
Because I always liked him
Since we were at school together
And I think--


I think maybe I’d said two words to him
Before that
But sometimes you just get to an age--


I was almost forty
And had a divorce behind me
And it’s like--


What do I have to worry about
When it comes to--


When it comes to men, you know?


I had two teens at home
A girl and a boy
And I had no time for shyness
I can tell you that


The way I look at it
If somebody likes you
There’s no shame
In letting it be known


But I also know
That people are usually smarter
Than everybody gives them credit for
And I knew Jim could see my face
And knew what I was thinking
And that he’d find me
If he wanted to find me


And it turns out he did


But see, I wasn’t at the big fireworks spot
In front of the supermarket


I sat on the hood of my car
Behind the old fire station
And Jim found me anyway


He turned off his car
And came to sit on the hood of mine


That was nice
I liked that


You can see the fireworks just as good
From that spot
But most people don’t know about it


I’d been going there since I was in high school
Because I followed Jim there one night
And saw him kissing this girl
Who I didn’t think was all that pretty


Not sure what ever happened to her


We talked a little bit
He and I


He asked about my kids
I asked about his mom
Who he takes care of
And then we just watched the fireworks


Not any big story to tell you
But it was a nice time
Even though I didn’t want to go


The friend who invited me
Got drunk and went home
With this girl who does tattoos
In her living room
And she said she had a great time
And asked me what I got up to


I told her
I watched the fireworks
And I wasn’t lying


Not everybody
Needs to know everything
You know


Sometimes it’s nice
To keep something
To yourself

No comments:

Post a Comment