Saturday, July 14, 2018

Play All-4-One

If you went to prom
At a certain time in the 90’s
Uh, like--

There was a three-year window
I would say
Where--

If you went to prom
You were going to hear
All-4-One

They really only had two hits
But both of them were, like--

Solid prom songs

‘I Swear’ and ‘I Could Love You Like That’

And, depending on which one is your favorite
You’re either a total romantic
Or someone who’s had their head
Slammed in the door
By love a few times

‘I Swear’ was still being used as a wedding song
When I went to Krissy Fredickson’s wedding in 1999
But the bloom was definitely off the rose at that point
And more than a few people commented
Under their breath
That the wedding had a very ‘vintage’ feeling to it
And they clearly
Didn’t mean it
In a good way

Krissy Fredrickson took me to prom
In 1994
And as soon as we got there
She ditched me
So she could hang out with her two girlfriends
Carrie Loudman and Jessica Newton
Although none of them are friends anymore

Krissy needed a date
Because nobody wanted to go with her
Due to her proclivity towards crying
For absolutely no reason

And I needed a way into prom
Because I knew
James Lanning was going to be there
And James Lanning
Was the most beautiful guy
You have ever seen
In your life

He was there stag
Because that’s how badass he was

An openly gay guy
At a prom
Stag
Oh--and he was wearing
Red leather pants
Which--

I mean, if that isn’t the hottest thing ever
I don’t know what is

My night pretty much consisted of me
Stalking him all over the Elk’s Club
Watching from afar as he danced
With every girl there
And a few of the straight guys
Who were eager to prove
Just how okay they were
With him being him

I told myself that years from that night
I would find myself at some fancy party
Dancing with James, my husband of many years
And that both of us would be wearing tuxedos
And that we’d have two kids at home
Twins--Kelly and Brenda
And that life would be fearless

But, uh--

You get older and you don’t really
Have the opportunity to go
To a lot of fancy parties

And tuxedos are expensive
Twins are even more expensive
And guys like James
Become someone you add on social media
One night when you’re up at 3am
Wondering how you’re going to cover
Your next student loan payment

But in the interest of not leaving you
On a depressing note, uh--

I should tell you that
They played All-4-One
At that prom

‘I Could Love You Like That’

Not really a great prom song
If you think about it
Because it’s not about love secured
But love lost
Love...unrequited

It’s about wishing you could be something
Somebody
And not feeling like you’re good enough
To, uh, actually be that person

But there was a moment
In the song
When, uh, I was just sitting at a table
Watching all the boys
Dance with all the girls

Krissy was in the bathroom
Crying because someone told her
She looked like Wynona
And that, like, did not go well at all
For some reason

And, uh, I felt this--presence in front of me

It was James
And…

He was like--

‘Do you want to dance?’

And I said…

‘Yeah’

And we went out on the dance floor
And we danced, and--

I don’t know if anybody even noticed us, but--

But, uh…

It was really special

Up until then
I didn’t know if I deserved to, uh
Have anything like that, uh--

You know
Stuff like that was--

--Was for other people?

By the way, a year after that night
Where I was up
Counting my six pennies
And adding James on Facebook?

A year later, we got married
And I had them play ‘I Swear’

It wasn’t the song we started out with
But it was where we wound up

And somewhere in there
Maybe there’s a happy ending

Maybe not just for me, but, you know--

For all of us

No comments:

Post a Comment