Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Hold Me Like a Charm

I just find myself
Alone
You know?

So much
So often

And he’s working
Until the early morning
At the Super Target

Doing warehouse stuff
But they’re telling him
He’s looking at an office job
In the next three years
And he’s really--

We’re both
Really excited about that

I don’t work
Because I have my nerves
And my bad wrists

But he doesn’t care

He found me
Working at the laundromat
On a Thursday night
And said--

‘What do you want to do about it?’

I didn’t know what ‘it’ was
But I knew
He had something
Going for him

Not any kind of rich man
But somebody who could, uh
Provide, you know?

He took me to that place in Irwin
Where you think you’re in the jungle
And you can eat all the macaroni you want

Asked me if I wanted kids

I said ‘No thanks’

He acted like
That was the funniest thing
He’d ever heard

We were pretty much
Inseparable
After that

He comes home in the mornings
And I tell him to hold me
And he does

I don’t really expect
Or want
Much more than that

There are a thousand different ways
To write a love story
But…

When all’s said and done
You just want someone to hold you
And make you feel lucky

He holds me like a charm
Like his little rabbit’s foot
And I don’t find myself needing
Much more than that

Sometimes I wake up
And it’s late in the afternoon
The whole world
Going on with their day

He’s laying in bed
Trying to get as much sleep as he can
Before he has to get up
And head to the warehouse
To keep us in the good sheets

I go into the bathroom
And I draw myself a bath
Bring in a good book
And a few magazines

You ever live the kind of life
You know you can’t live forever
But you’re not sure
When it’s going to end
And why?

I know this isn’t forever

Nobody lives like this
Forever
And all of us
Watch our luck run out
Eventually

That’s why I have a bag packed
And ready to go

I know how much he loves me
And I know I love him
But two people can only spend
So much time together
Before they get bored with each other

It’s not always about love
Sometimes it’s just about
How you keep things interesting

I sit in the bath
And wait for his alarm
To go off

When it does, he’ll get up
And come join me
In the bath

‘Hold me,’ I’ll say, ‘Hold me like a charm’

And he will

At least for today

He will

No comments:

Post a Comment