Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Life Among the Christians

I would go sit at the kitchen table
And listen to them
Talk about Jesus

Then I’d get up
And go to bed

I’d put myself to bed
That’s how good they were
At raising holy spirit

When I was eight or nine
They’d have my lay hands
And someone would say
I made their cancer go away

My mother took a glass ornament
Someone gave me
As a ‘Thank you’
For what they thought I’d done
And she smashed it in front of me
For no reason

I mean, she probably had a reason
She just didn’t see the need
To share it with me

That was life, you know
That was life among the Christians

Dad gets up at five every day
And we all get up ten minutes later
To pray and practice writing about God
And how disappointed he was
In the world

I drew a smiley face
Over a lower-case ‘i’ once
And I got grounded
For three days

Grounded didn’t mean getting hit
It meant no food

Nothing but water
And reflection

People ask--

‘Did your parents hit me?’

And I say--

‘No, they weren’t dumb enough to hit me’

There are worse things
Than being hit
Believe it or not
Although hitting is pretty bad

My brothers hit me
They hit me hard

And my parents didn’t stop them
That’s one of the worser things--

Watching your kid get hit
And not doing anything about it

Funny thing is--

Now my brothers
Are the only ones
I talk to

One of them sleeps on my couch
And keeps saying
He’s going to start paying me rent

I’ll believe that
When I see it

The other works with kids
Like the ones we were

When they found us
We were malnourished
And dehydrated

My sister, she--

Well, she didn’t make it

She wasn’t like me
She actually believed
Everything they told her

Sometimes I say all this
And then I say ‘Well, the Christians--’

And someone
Even someone who’s been sympathetic
Will say--

‘Well, not ALL Christians’

And I’ll have to tell them
That our last name was Christian

That was our name

And they’ll say ‘Oh’

And then I feel like saying--

‘Yeah, and ALL Christians’

But I don’t
Because by then…

I’m not even sure I believe that

Hard to know
What to believe, you know?

By the time I was ten
I’d heard more bullshit
Than most people hear
In their whole lives, so--

So that thing that tells me
What’s true and what’s not?

I think it’s broken

I think…

I think it’s broken beyond repair, actually

And you know what?

That’s fine

That’s fine with me

It means I just don’t believe anything

It means no matter I hear
I just walk away
And it doesn’t matter

If anybody’s walking with me

No comments:

Post a Comment