Friday, May 4, 2012

Dark of the Moon

It was Dark of the Moon
That put me over the edge

I don't know how many of you remember it
But it was this play about rednecks
Okies, I don't know
Whatever the hell they were
I didn't like 'em

And this play was performed everywhere
Colleges, community theaters, regional theaters

Just goes to show you
Bad taste isn't something
That was invented ten years ago

Anyway, we were doing this stupid play
About the Okies
The Appalachians
Whatever they were
And I'm getting sick I hate doing it so much

I mean, I'm getting physically ill over it

This was the first show
Of our second season
And we were doing it
In this high school auditorium
Until Beau, our boss, the Artistic Director
Could find us a real space

It was nice though
That auditorium

I wouldn't have minded staying there
Just as long as we weren't doing Dark of the Moon

The company was still, oh I don't know
Taking shape back then, I guess you would say

People were coming and going
But more people were coming
And a few were waiting in line
To work with us
Because now we were getting paid
And it seemed like this theater
Might actually be going somewhere

Plus we had a name for it

Orpheus

Beau's son was born during a production
Of 'Orpheus Descending'
So he was always a little partial

Now here we were

The Orpheus Acting Company

Sounds so--Greek, doesn't it?

We were really Greek back then too
And by that I mean--we were drunk a lot
And fucking anything that moved

So I guess we were more Dionysian than anything

Where was I going with this?

Oh right

I quit acting during Dark of the Moon

One day I'm sitting backstage
Thinking about all the people
Who want to work with Beau
And be in the company
And here I was
Sitting backstage
Getting paid to act
In a show I hated
And I just thought...

This isn't for me

I went to Beau
As soon as the show was over
And gave him my notice

It's more notice than his son gave him
When he popped out halfway through Orpheus Descending

Beau tried to talk me into staying
Because we got along really well
And he trusted me
And...

Well back then
You couldn't trust a lot of people

Maybe it's the same way now
I wouldn't know
I've been dead for...awhile

Nothing he said changed my mind
But it was sweet of him to say it

I just realized that if you don't love it
If you don't love what it is you're doing
Especially when you're an artist well--

Yes, the play was terrible
But I thought--

There are gonna be more terrible plays
And terrible productions
And bad actors
And bad directors
And rather than see all the possibilities of the theater
I just saw the pratfalls
And I truly wasn't interested

Maybe it means I wasn't a very good actor

You know what?

I probably wasn't

...No, I definitely wasn't

So it's better I quit

And went on to become a jewelry designer

I used to send stuff over to Beau
To use in his shows
Because I did miss him

I missed the people a lot
Just not the theater

Not the acting

Not the Okies
That's for damn sure

Still, you're asking me about it
The company
All these years later
And I still only have nice things to say

So maybe it wasn't so bad after all

Oh, not the play
The play really was that bad

But the rest of it?

Well...

The rest of it I wouldn't trade
For anything

No comments:

Post a Comment