Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Carol Channing Explains Friendship to Mark Zuckerberg

     (CAROL CHANNING is at MARK ZUCKERBERG's house.  She's in his hot tub actually.  He's making some hot dogs on the grill.)

CAROL:  But I don't KNOW her!

MARK:  Carol, I'm right here.  You don't have to yell.

CAROL:  Was I YELLING?

MARK:  Yes.

CAROL:  I'm sorry, honey.  The war did that to me.

MARK:  Which war?

CAROL:  POKEMON!

MARK:  I'm sorry?

CAROL:  Anyway, she's not my friend.  She's nobody's friend.  I don't want her to know what I'm doing with my time.

MARK:  But you know her.

CAROL:  Of course I KNOW her!  And Bette Davis knew Little Richard, but they HATED each other!

MARK:  Did they?

CAROL:  That was just an example.  What I mean is--I'm not going to 'friend' her because we're not friends.  If you're 'friends' with someone you LIKE them.  I don't LIKE her.  I LOATHE her.  Is there a button for that?  If you LOATHE somebody?

MARK:  No, not yet.  We tested a program like it in Bulgaria but it caused a civil war.

CAROL:  DONUT HOLE!

MARK:  We talked about this.  No dessert until you eat your dinner.

CAROL:  This hot tub is fabulous, Mark.  FABULOUS.

MARK:  I heard you, I heard you.

CAROL:  CHEESEBURGER!

MARK:  Your doctor told me not to feed you dairy.  He said you can only process raw meat and almond butter.

CAROL:  You know so much about me, Mark.  See, YOU'RE my FRIEND.  Not that old bat.  I'd hit your button!

MARK:  Please don't say that.

CAROL:  BUT I WOULD!

MARK:  You can't just be friends with people you're actually friends with, Carol.  It's not just about friendship, it's about the people who exist in your life--good and bad.

CAROL:  Then shouldn't you call it something else, dear?

MARK:  It's...evolved from what it once was, but once you have a label--

CAROL:  SANTA CLAUS!

MARK:  Just friend her already, Carol!

CAROL:  I'd rather not.

MARK:  You know her, so friend her.  It's as simple as that.

CAROL:  But then the word 'friend' doesn't mean anything.

MARK:  It DOESN'T mean anything.  Not anymore.  It's an antiquated notion.  Everybody has two groups of people in their life--the people they're jealous of, and the people they're better than.  That's it.

CAROL:  My goodness, you're sad, poor thing.  Is it because you're a ginger?

MARK:  No.

CAROL:  Mickey Rooney was a ginger.  And a hell of a fox trotter.

MARK:  Please stop.

CAROL:  Or was that Burt Lancaster?

MARK:  Carol, I'm begging you--

CAROL:  MICROWAVE!

MARK:  CAROL I'M UNFRIENDING YOU!

     (A beat.)

CAROL:  You are?

MARK:  Yes.  I'm sorry, but--all you do is post pictures of your elbows, and they're so awful--

CAROL:  Oh.

MARK:  --And you don't know the difference between your inbox and your wall.  You keep posting things on my timeline asking if I think the thing on your elbow is infected, and I think it is, but--

CAROL:  I see.

MARK:  I just--can't deal with you on there anymore.  I mean, in life, sure, you're a hoot, but--

CAROL:  Well, that's fine, dear.

MARK:  ...Really?

CAROL:  Of course, honey, it's just some stupid website.  Who cares if we're friends on there or not?  As long as we're friends in real life.

MARK:  Well--okay.

CAROL:  How are those dogs coming?

MARK:  Uh...should be done in a second.  I left yours raw like your doctor--

CAROL:  That's lovely, dear.

MARK:  Good.

CAROL:  Just lovely.

MARK:  Good.

CAROL:  One more thing--

MARK:  Yes?

CAROL:  Are we still friends on Myspace?

MARK:  That's not funny, Carol.

CAROL:  Are you sure, dear?  It tickled me pink.

     (She laughs.  MARK smiles.  The hot dogs burn slightly.)

No comments:

Post a Comment