Sunday, October 27, 2013

Channing Tatum Explains Dramatic Structure to Henrik Ibsen

     (CHANNING TATUM and HENRIK IBSEN are facing each other in a dance studio.  Both are dressed in athletic gear.  HENRIK looks amazing.)

HENRIK:  What are we doing here?

CHANNING:  I'm going to teach you how to write a play, big man.

HENRIK:  I am of average size.

CHANNING:  It's a joke.

     (A moment.)

HENRIK:  I fail to find the humor in that.

CHANNING:  That's because you don't know funny.

HENRIK:  Or it was a poor joke.  Much like most of your career.

CHANNING:  See, now THAT was funny!

HENRIK:  I was being serious.

CHANNING:  Man, you're hard to read!  Luckily, I don't read good, so we don't have to worry too much.

HENRIK:  Did you bring me here to kill me?

CHANNING:  Dude, it's Crossfit gym.

HENRIK:  I assume this is where Americans go to die?

CHANNING:  Well, yeah, but--

HENRIK:  I thought you were going to help me with my writing?

CHANNING:  I am!  And writing is like dancing, and I know dancing.  Take your pants off.

HENRIK:  Excuse me?

CHANNING:  You can't move well the way you're dressed.  We do this in our underwear.

HENRIK:  Must we?

CHANNING:  Yeah, we must, dude.

HENRIK:  What sort of sinful waltz are you going to teach me?

CHANNING:  Yo, one of my straight-to-videos was called 'Sinful Waltz.'  You can't even get that shit on eBay anymore.

HENRIK:  I'm leaving my pants off.

CHANNING:  Suit yourself.

     (CHANNING takes his pants off.  HENRIK is mortified.)

HENRIK:  Have you ever written anything?

CHANNING:  Uh, YEAH.  The first three drafts of Magic Mike and, like, two scenes in The Vow that I improvised on the spot.

HENRIK:  Were those performed by professionals?

CHANNING:  Professional badasses?  Yeah, they were.

HENRIK:  You speak like a Norwegian gutter girl.

CHANNING:  Yo, what kinda kinky shit you into, Henny Penny?

HENRIK:  Let us please begin.

CHANNING:  In order to write, you have to think about where you're going, where you want to go, whose face you're going to put your junk in.

HENRIK:  I shall not smear my garbage onto the countenance of another.

CHANNING:  That's what theater is, Hen!  It's getting in people's faces!  Putting your lone wolf right where they can see it and being like 'This is my art, bitch!'

HENRIK:  I fear you have no soul.

CHANNING:  Writing's gotta be spontaneous, free-flowing, rhythmic--

     (CHANNING grabs HENRIK and the two begin to dance.  HENRIK resists at first, but CHANNING seduces him into a slow, sensual tango.)

HENRIK:  Never speak about this.

CHANNING:  About what?

HENRIK:  Talk on my work.  Criticize it.  Rip it apart.  I am in your hands and I shall stay there for as long as you'll have me.

CHANNING:  All your plays have sad endings.

HENRIK:  Life's endings are often sad.

CHANNING:  Dude, not all the time.  Look at us!  You're a famous playwright and I'm AWESOME.  Put the sad stuff in the beginning and then make the ending fun and happy!  Unless you want like a twisty play where, like, Hedda Gabler can die in the first five minutes and everybody's like 'Whoa!  This play's called 'Hedda Gabler' and now Hedda's dead!  What the fuck?'

HENRIK:  Go on.

CHANNING:  Doll House?  Lame House.  Give Nora a gun and start shooting shit up.  Then you'll have a play on your hands.

HENRIK:  Perhaps I could give Nora Hedda's gun?

CHANNING:  Yeah, whatever.  You know these people aren't real, right?

HENRIK:  In my mind's eye--

CHANNING:  Oh!  Wild Duck?  Two words for you:  The first one is Tobey.  And the second one is Maguire.  That dude can save almost anything.

HENRIK:  What else?

CHANNING:  Peer Gynt.  I don't know what it's about, and I don't know want to know what it's about.  And that's because you don't know how to come up with a good title.  Call it Car Chase.

HENRIK:  But there isn't a car chase in it.  There isn't even a car.

CHANNING:  Yeah and there isn't a John in Dear John but so what?

HENRIK:  Could it not be that your character's name was John?

CHANNING:  ...Ohhhhhhh...right.

HENRIK:  It doesn't matter.  None of it matters.  All that matters is the dance.

    (CHANNING dips HENRIK.  When they came up, something has changed.  They separate.)

CHANNING:  Goddammit, Henrik.

HENRIK:  What?  What have I done?

CHANNING:  I can't help you if you make me fall in love with you.

HENRIK:  You...you love me?

CHANNING:  No, dude!  That shit's dialogue right there!  You can use that.  Free of charge.

HENRIK:  Oh...I see.

CHANNING:  Now--you want to hear my theory on the fourth wall?

HENRIK:  You mean bridging the distance between yourself and the audience?

CHANNING:  Nah, like how if you have a theater you have to have a fourth wall or you'll be cold all the time.

HENRIK:  Something about you screams genius.  Perhaps it's the beauty in your eyes.  But I can't help but feel that you're incredibly intelligent.

CHANNING:  You know what, Henrik?  I get that a lot.

     (CHANNING laughs as HENRIK slowly begins to fall in love.)

No comments:

Post a Comment