Thursday, February 6, 2014

Haircuts in Cemeteries

...All this got taken out by Sandy
From here all the way to--Jesus, God
Six or seven blocks down?
All that way

No joke, I'm telling ya

You know people die when stuff like that happens
Hurricanes, it's true

You get enough notice you think--
Well, at least nobody's going to die

But then they do
People still do
They die
It happens

And you wonder to yourself
How?

I mean, did they not believe it?
Did they think the guys on the news were kidding
When they said it was coming?

It's a mystery to me
It really is

I know people are stubborn
But about that?
About dying?

I mean, if you got a phone call
And there was a guy on the other end
An authoritative guy, you know
Somebody you could tell
Just by listening to him
That, you know, that he knows what he's talking about
And this guy on the phone says to you--

A guy's comin' over to your house tomorrow at 3pm
His name's Sandy
And he's going to blow your brains out
Just thought you should know

Well, I mean, aren't you going to say to yourself
Stubborn or not--
'Hey, you know what?
Maybe I should go see a movie tomorrow at 3.
Can't hurt, right?'

But you tell people a hurricane's coming
And they think
What the hell?
I'll roll the dice

Hey, could you cut a little more off the--
Yeah, that's fine
Thanks

At least it's not New Orleans
I heard when they had their storm
Bodies were floating around
People who'd been dead for years
Because they got those mausoleums
Those above-ground cemeteries
So people were just...floating by

Thank God we don't do that here, huh?

Imagine if you looked out the window
And saw your mother going by
And she's been dead for ten years?

No thanks

My wife stayed put
When they told her
About the storm

That I could understand
She was scared
My son's in Phoenix now
She didn't know where to go

What was she going to do?
Get on a plane?
You don't know my wife

She's not stubborn
She just...
She got nervous

If I had been there...

You feel guilty sometimes, you know?
You feel--

Yeah, that's fine
That looks good
Thanks
I appreciate it

Yeah, if I had been there...

I don't know

Maybe we could have gotten on a plane
Maybe I could have talked her into it
But then again, when I was alive
I didn't like flying all that much either

So you know, it's hard to say
It's hard to say what you would do
Back when you had to think about
Keeping yourself alive

Knowing now what I know about death
How easy death is, I...

Well, she's okay

Somebody got her out

But it was a close call

She doesn't know it, my wife
But from the outside looking in
I could tell

I could tell
How close it was

No comments:

Post a Comment