Sunday, February 16, 2014

'Til the Roots Show

I gotta know, you know
How long you're...

Planning on hanging around

Like, what are we talking here?

Six months?  Eight?
Do I get you for a year?
A whole year?

Let's just be honest about this
What--are we talking about?

You going to stick around
Until I need something
Until my, I don't know, oldest living relative dies
Or I decide to go back to school
Which will, of course, be a very poor decision on my part

Will you still be here if I get fat?
Because I will know
Here's the thing nobody admits to themselves--

Everybody
Gets
Fat

Fat or ancient
But either way
At some point in the future
I will not be attractive
And you can write all the Hallmark cards you want about love
But the truth is
There is going to come a day
When you
Do no
Want to get naked with me
Anymore

And I--

...I just want to know...

...What to expect

Because I know you'll be long gone before then

Before I get fat
Or old
I know it's not going to take something that extreme
To make you disappear
So I'm just wondering
What it is

Like, how many times am I going to have to fuck up
Before you're like--
Yup, I'm done
I'm out

'Til I get boring?
'Til I get mean?
'Til the roots show?

Huh?

Sometimes I wonder what's better

Enjoying you pretending you're never going to leave
Or assuming you are going to leave
So that when you do
It won't hurt as much

Well...

Well that's that

No comments:

Post a Comment