Thursday, November 17, 2016

Watching My Sister Break Up With Boys

When I was younger
I used to sit at my window
And watch my sister
Break up with her boyfriends

My bedroom window
Faced the driveway
And I would watch the cars pull up
Driven by various boys
And my sister would get out
And I’d know
That it was over
For whatever boy
Was leaning on the wheel

They all took it different ways

Some would cry
Most would scream
One guy got out of the car
And stood in front of my sister
Just stood in front of her
Staring at her
Until he finally got on his knees
And pressed his head against our driveway
His entire body trembling
With something I couldn’t make out

I was ten
And I thought
That’s how I want to be

I want boys shaking
On pavement for me

My sister would quietly into the house
Trying not to wake up
Our parents
While I crept into the kitchen
And watched her make herself
A bowl of Rice Krispies

She’d pretend not to notice me at first
And then she’d push out a chair
And I’d go sit next to her
While I waited for her
To tell me the story
Of the boy
Whose heart
Just got broken

Sometimes she’d laugh about it
Sometimes I could tell she felt bad
Sometimes she’d let me have some of her cereal
And then she’d walk me back to my room
Like we were walking along a street in a city
Just two girls
Finishing up their night

My sister looked like the cover of a book
But the book wasn’t easy to read
And it was written in a language
Not many people understood

Last year for Christmas
I showed up with my daughter
And my sister was sitting by the fire
Drinking a glass of wine
And staring at the smoke

‘Go give Auntie a hug,’ I said
To my little girl

My sister had already been through one divorce
And now she was going through another
She never could teach people how to read her
How to crack the cover
And settle in

Not everybody wants to work that hard
Not everybody knows how

My little girl walked over to her aunt
And lifted her arms up
The way she does
When she wants you to pick her up

I saw my sister smile at her little niece
A girl who I can already tell
Has a lot more of my sister in her
Than me

My daughter makes you work for it
Her love, her affection—everything
She doesn’t care how cute you are
Or how many boys you left broken
In the driveway

My sister laughed
Picked up my girl
And put her right on her lap

My daughter squeezed her
And I could see some of the smoke
Wash out of my sister’s eyes

It’s not always easy
To figure out how to love somebody
Sometimes it takes years
Sometimes you never figure it out

But my sister looks at my daughter
Like I used to look out my bedroom window
And I’m glad

I’m glad she’s finally got somebody
She can figure out

No comments:

Post a Comment