Saturday, October 26, 2019

Everything Bitter, Everything Late

How am I going to sleep
When across the street
The Wilsons are throwing a party

Vanessa Wilson called me this afternoon
To tell me all about the preparations
Only remembering to invite me
Just as the call was about to end

I told her about my headaches
And how I need to avoid
Too much social interaction
For the time being

She tried to catch her relief
The way one might stifle a yawn
But you can always tell
What was supposed to be there

Leaning against the stove
I notice a nickel-sized stain
On my otherwise undistinguished
Countertops

The loaded laughter from across the street
Makes its way through my poor insulation
And reminds me
That I’m neither for or of this world

The world being one or two cocktails
New dresses from a department store
A hairstyle maintained from Friday
Into Saturday evening

Everything bitter
Everything late

The itch at the back of my neck
Won’t go away
And I wonder what kind of illness
I might have

I refilled my glass for the first time
Just as the guests began arriving
At the Wilson house

They’re parked up and down the street
And a few are outside smoking
Speaking loudly but not angrily
Which is a fine trick
Only inebriated people
Know how to pull off

Inside my bathroom
The water runs
Because I couldn’t be bothered
To turn anything off today

There is no religious reason for this
Just a lack of interest
In bringing anything
To a halt

Let the water run
Let the lights buzz
Let the currents run through
My empty, empty house

Let it feel alive
In whatever way it can

Laying on my bed
I tell myself a story
About a little girl
Who grew up
To be rich and popular
With so many friends
It was impossible to see them all

And so she died of sadness
Knowing that it was possible
To only truly love
A few people at a time
Maybe just one

And if you chose the wrong one…

The Wilson house catches on fire
Sometime around three am

The party had just ended
Less than an hour before
And so Vanessa and her husband
Were still awake
And able to flee their residence
Before it was reduced to ashes

Not all fires consume
But this one did
And it left nothing
Worth rebuilding

I was asleep
And so deeply
That not even the whining sirens
Of the fire engine
Could rouse me

Upon waking the next day
I found that I now had a view
Of Porter Street
That had never been there before
And this tickled me
Before I realized
Why it would be so

Shortly after finding yourself envious
You will occasionally find yourself
Pitying those who you envied

I pitied the Wilsons
And their grand and garish home
That would never be so again

That night, Vanessa Wilson slept on my couch
And I had to do all my drinking
Alone in my room
With the door locked
As if she would try to get in
Were I to let her

But Vanessa just lay there on the couch
Her husband downstairs in my basement
Finding himself aroused
At the thought of a fire
That couldn’t be put out

While his wife tried sleeping
In a room meant for living
Telling herself a story

Not even she could believe

No comments:

Post a Comment