Thursday, October 31, 2019

Taking Her In

I’m taking her in
Because she took care of Dad

It’s as simple as that

He could have married her
And made it easy on us
Because then she’d have legal entitlements
But since he didn’t want to go through all that
She’s left with nothing
And I find that--

I think that’s wrong

Kirsten disagrees with me
But then again
Our parents got divorced when we were seven
And she’s still not over it

I have no patience for that
And I’ll be--

I’ll be very honest about it

I just have no patience

And I have no interest
In worrying about anything
That relates to the dead

Dad is gone
Mom is gone
This woman is alive
And she gave our father baths
And changed his diaper

That’s--that’s a little graphic
I realize that
But it’s the truth

She’s owed something
And since Kirsten and Lindsey
Won’t let her move in with them
I guess it falls to me
The oldest
No surprise there

My sisters are selfish

I love them, but they’re selfish assholes
And they always have been

As soon as the will was read
Off they went
To spend the money
And there she is
Our father’s girlfriend
Sitting there
Not a dime to her name
Because she threw her whole life away
Taking care of him

Even I didn’t help
And I’ll admit to that

Dad and I were--

We were not close

I resented the way he treated Mom
And me
And my sisters
And frankly, the only way
I was going to take money from him
Even in death
Was going to be if I could spend it
In a useful way

And I found a way

I’m going to use his money
To take care of her

We don’t have to talk
Although we have spoken a few times
Since she moved
Across the hall from me

Turns out we get along
Pretty well
And I needed a roommate anyway
So this all worked out
About as well
As taking in
Your dead father’s girlfriend can

My sisters have their husbands
And their ex-husbands
And their husbands’ ex-wives
And their children
And their step-children
And their therapists
And I had this little house
With an extra bedroom

And…

And I wanted to know more
About my father

There were…

There were things
I wanted to understand
To try to understand
Do you know what I mean?

I thought maybe
She could help with that

But I’ll wait until she gets settled
Before I start in on all that

She’s still grieving
And I want to respect that

I should be grieving too
But I just can’t seem
To get around to it

Maybe one day

Maybe one day

I will

No comments:

Post a Comment