Friday, October 25, 2019

Two Vacations a Year

We’ll do two vacations a year
And you’ll take your photo
In front of brick walls
In Japan

We’ll get the picture
And travel on
On foot
By rented car

It’ll be that way
In Tennessee
And Ontario
And South Africa
And Cape Cod

A house will be borrowed
For a weekend in July

You’ll make yourself a fruit shake
Something with a special assortment
That you were told
Will help your skin

I’ll be upstairs reading
And looking out the window
At a soft ocean
And the rolling body
Of a man sunbathing
At the house next door

I call you hub
The hub
The guy
My guy
The best thing
The only thing
The soulmate
The soul
The spirit of me

And downstairs you pick out
What to wear
To a party
Where we’ll only speak
To everyone else

That’s you
That’s us
It’s always
Everyone else

And two vacations a year

The rainy day in downtown Portland
Where you kept your distance
And your silence close

I can’t tell anymore
When you’re upset
Or just unaware of me being there

Like I could go to crumbs
Between the sidewalk cracks
And you’d walk
Right over me

Dinners are eaten
Films are seen
Two plates are put down
Tickets purchased
Fingernails trimmed

I see you got a new pair of shoes
A haircut
That kitchen contraption you wanted
That shaves vegetables just so

This is not a happy life
But what kind of happiness
Are we entitled to?

Maybe all we get
Is all of this
And two vacations a year

I do the dishes
I make the plans
I book the flights
I choose the hotels

From across the table
I see you go to say something
And decide not to

This is how you go too far
Without taking
Any steps

The calendar says
Next month wouldn’t be
A good month to leave

And after that
There’s an after that

A wedding
A baptism
A concert
A trip

We’ll go away
And come back
And the first day we’re back
There’s a moment
Where everything looks the same
And strange
At the very same time

Some people want to feel something
Some don’t want to feel anything
And some sleep on the surface
Of a perfectly calm storm

Knowing there’s lightning
Underneath them

But not knowing how much
Or how it would feel
To go down
Into the darkness
And wait for the fire

To strike

No comments:

Post a Comment