Thursday, September 19, 2019

A Group of Teenagers Discussing What's Gay

     (MIKE, MIKEY, and MICHAEL sit around MIKE's basement.)

MIKE:  You know what's gay?  That rainbow flag outside Scott's house.

MIKEY:  That is gay.

MICHAEL:  But it actually is.

MIKE:  That's what I'm saying.  I'm saying it actually IS gay.

MICHAEL:  All right.  Just checking.

MIKE:  No, it's good that you checked.

MICHAEL:  Because we don't want to be--

MIKEY:  No, that's right.  We don't want to make it sound like we think things are gay that aren't gay.

MIKE:  Or that things can't be gay.

MICHAEL:  No, yes, no, anything can be gay.

MIKEY:  And should be gay!

MICHAEL:  Well.  I wouldn't--

MIKE:  Anything that WANTS to be gay can be gay.

MICHAEL:  But nobody has to be anything they don't want to be.

MIKEY:  But wanting to be gay is great.

MIKE:  You should--

MICHAEL:  But, like, we're mainly talking about people, right?

MIKEY:  Yes, but we did agree that the gay flag is gay.

MICHAEL:  I just think if we start talking about objects being gay or not being gay can start us down a road where all of a sudden we're saying things are gay just because it indicates that in some way we think they're bad.

MIKEY/MIKE:  Nooooooooo./We don't want to do that.

MICHAEL:  It's just something we need to be aware of, since, you know, we're not THOSE kinds of teenagers.

MIKEY:  We're more self-aware.

MIKE:  It's a different time.

MIKEY:  A better time.

MIKE:  A much better time.

MICHAEL:  I, myself, am not gay, but I understand that sexuality is a spectrum.

MIKEY:  A changing spectrum.

MIKE:  An ever-changing spectrum.

MIKEY:  Which is to say that we might wind up gay.  We ALL might wind up gay.

MIKE:  If we want to.

MICHAEL:  If that's our choice.

MIKEY/MIKE:  Nooooooooooo./Why would you say choice?

MICHAEL:  I didn't mean--

MIKEY:  It's not a choice, Michael.

MICHAEL:  I know that.  I meant--

MIKE:  Please be careful when you're talking about this stuff.

MICHAEL:  I meant if we chose to, you know, participate in gay behavior--with consent--from, you know--both parties.

MIKEY:  Uh, what exactly is gay behavior?

MIKE:  Jesus, Michael.

MICHAEL:  Gay, you know--if we wanted to--

MIKEY:  If we wanted to what?  Go dancing with our shirts off on a beach in the Bahamas?

     (A beat.)

MICHAEL:  Is that what gay people do?

MIKEY:  Gay people do all kinds of things.

MIKE:  My mom's cousin is gay and he raises turkeys.

MICHAEL:  See, that's gay.

MIKEY/MIKE:  Nooooooooooooooo./Seriously?

MICHAEL:  I mean it's gay because he's doing it!

MIKE:  But the point is, it's not gay just BECAUSE he's doing it.

MIKEY:  But it can be gay.  There'd be nothing wrong with it being gay.

MICHAEL:  I didn't say it was, I just think--Wouldn't it be nice if we could just call everything gay.

MIKE:  But everything's not gay.

MIKEY:  But it could be.

MICHAEL:  But then it's not special.

MIKEY:  It's not special.

MIKE:  No, it is special.  We don't want to tell them they're not special.

MIKEY:  The turkeys?

MIKE:  No, the gay people.

MIKEY:  Oh, the gay people are--Well, they're not special.  They're just like us.

MIKE:  And they're precious.

MICHAEL:  And amazing.

MIKEY:  But also normal.

MIKE:  But, like, what IS normal?

MIKEY:  There is no normal.

MICHAEL:  But you just said--

MIKEY:  I KNOW WHAT I SAID A SECOND AGO, MICHAEL, BUT THAT WAS A DIFFERENT TIME!

(A beat.)

MIKE:  So turkeys aren't gay?

MIKEY:  They could be gay, but you shouldn't ask them.  It's their business, not yours.

MIKE/MICHAEL:  Agreed.

MIKEY:  We should just refrain from labels altogether.

MICHAEL:  It's true.  Labels are gay.

MIKEY/MIKE:  Nooooooooooo./I can't keep doing this.

MICHAEL:  I'M SORRY!  I'M SORRY I'M SORRY I'M SORRY!

MIKEY:  Let's just not talk about this anymore.

MIKE:  We don't need to figure out what's gay and what isn't gay.

MIKEY:  Because it could be everything.

MIKE:  And nothing.

MICHAEL:  And turkeys.

MIKEY:  And it's all wonderful.

MIKE:  Except the stuff that's not wonderful.  That stuff isn't gay.

MICHAEL:  Just the good stuff?

MIKE:  Right.

MICHAEL:  But we're not gay, right?

MIKEY:  It doesn't matter.

MICHAEL:  No, I know, but--

MIKEY:  IT DOESN'T MATTER, MICHAEL.  WE COULD ALL BE GAY AND IT WOULDN'T MATTER.

     (A beat.)

But no, I'm not gay.  I would love to be gay.  It would be awesome to be gay.  But you can't decide to be gay.  You're born gay.  Or you're born--something.  But the point is, it's not a choice, but it's great, and we should celebrate people who are, but I'm not.

MIKE:  Me either.

MICHAEL:  I'm not sure.

     (A beat.)

Is that okay?

MIKEY:  It's better than okay, Michael.

     (He puts his hand on MICHAEL's shoulder.)

It's gay.

MIKE:  It's really gay.

MIKEY:  It's very, very gay.

     The End

No comments:

Post a Comment