Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Time Is On My Side

I can sit right here
And eat my cake

That’s what you need to know

The devil frosting
The devil believes
And what does the devil believe in?

The devil believes in time

The greatest gift
That god ever gave the devil
Was the watch on your wrist
And the ding dong ding dong

Because no matter what you do
I got time

No matter how good it gets
I got time

No matter how the healing
Goes for you
And how far you think
You can run
See--

I got time

There’s a reason
That song goes--

Tiiiiiiime is on my side

Because the Stones
Understood
The devil

They understood--

The Beatles were about light
They were about Jesus
Bigger than him, maybe
But they pulled themselves
To light

The Stones didn’t do that
The Stones were rock ‘n roll
The Beatles were pop
And you know that
Because when you listen
You hear darkness
In the Stones

Because rock ‘n roll
Pulls you towards
The things
You don’t want to see

To the things
You want to do
But don’t want
To see yourself doing

And if you don’t want to do it?

That’s okay
I got time

Now god has time too
That’s true
God’s got the same time
I do

But does it feel that way?

Because see
Damage makes a dent
And goodness
Makes an impression

And impressions fade
But a dent?

You gotta do something
About a dent

And it’s not easy, right?

Not easy

When the time comes
For you to bend to it
You gotta bend pretty far back
The other way
To erase what it is you did
When you felt that time
Come down on you

Goodness is impermanent
In a way that the stain of evil
Never is

And all that hopelessness
You’re feeling right now
Listening to me talk
Isn’t just what I’m saying

It’s the acknowledgment
Of the persistence
And strength
Of time

Because, you see,
It’s not on your side

And it never has been

Not unless you want to
Dance the way I dance

And if you do
That’s fine with me

We can dance all night

I’ll tell you one thing about me

I love to dance

No comments:

Post a Comment