Sunday, September 22, 2019

Nothing Left Over

I asked you all here
Because as you all know
On Sunday
Something happened at Ma’s house
That greatly disturbed me

Ma made dinner
Like she does every Sunday
And there was just enough food
For everybody

She only made
Enough food
For everyone

There wasn’t one extra plate of food
For anyone

There was nothing to put in the fridge
No need for Tupperware
I was talking in the kitchen with Aunt Jan
And I went to pick at whatever was left over
And there
Was
Nothing

I didn’t know what to do
I was peckish
And then I was hungry
And then I was starving

I said, ‘Ma, why isn’t there more food?’
She said, ‘You just ate’
I said, ‘Don’t shame me.’
She said, ‘There’s food in the pantry.’

I’m not going in that pantry

Do you know what’s in that pantry?
There’s food in there
From thirty years ago

She’s got a can of pinto beans in there
That she bought with a rations card

I don’t know what to do in there
That’s why I have Ma

I said, ‘Ma, what happened?
You always make extra food’

She said, ‘I know, but I realized
That what I was doing
Was making extra work for myself
And I should just make less
Since I’ve been cooking for all of you
For decades
And I’m not as young as I used to be’

Isn’t that the most selfish thing
You’ve ever heard
In your entire life?

All these years
She’s been making double the amount of food
We all want to eat
And we complain and complain about it
And then out of the blue
She decides to listen to us

I get enough of that from my teenagers
I don’t need it from my mother too

I asked her, ‘What would have happened
If somebody showed up unexpectedly?
What would you have fed them?’

She said, ‘Nobody’s ever showed up
Unexpectedly’

But for years
And years
She would say
That she was making all that food
In case somebody showed up

And we’d tell her--

‘Ma, nobody’s going to show up
And she would insist
That one day
Somebody would

And they never did
But now
If they do
They’ll go hungry

I could cry just thinking about it

The only problem is
I can’t cry when I’m hungry
And I’m famished
Because all I ate on Sunday
Was two plates of food
And that cake that’s really just a pizza
In a cake

My whole eating schedule
Is thrown off now

My kidneys are probably going to shut down
And it’ll be my mother’s fault

We have to do something
We have to talk to her
We have to explain to her
That it doesn’t matter
What we’ve been saying
All these years

She’s gotta keep making
More food
Than we need

That’s what mothers do

They offer more than you want

More advice
More hugs
More rules
More yelling

And more food

You don’t want it
But you need it

You’re always going to need it

You’re never not going to need it

And you can never really have

Enough

No comments:

Post a Comment