Tuesday, September 17, 2019

The Overdog

They want me to root for him
Because they expect him to win

That’s--

That’s what’s being implied

That I should get on the winning team
While there’s, like, still--

While it’s still clear
That they’re--

That he’s going to win

This entire situation
Is completely devoid
Of loyalty

Or of--of--belief--in
In him
In this guy
Or in anyone
Really

It’s all about making sure
You’re on top
When the bell rings

That’s all it is

And here’s me being like--

That’s not how I do things
That’s not what I’m about

I’m about the underdog
Not the fuckin’ uh--uh--

Overdog

Or whatever

I’m not about the easy bet
The sure thing
That’s repugnant to me

That’s against everything
I stand for

I want to find the guy
Who’s not gonna win
And give him a leg up

Not some chump
Who’s got everybody
Secretly, you know
Behind-the-scenes
Pulling the strings
And all that bullshit

No thanks

Shameless

All these people

They got no shame

You get on a bandwagon like that
The least you can
Is be discreet about it

Acting like it’s just
The smart thing to do

And yeah, I guess
In some respect
It is

Unless you’re bad at telling
When a winner’s luck
Is running out

Then you’re really
Up the fuckin’ creek, aren’t you?

Maybe I go the wrong way
Betting on a longshot
All the time
But I only need to win once
To win big

You’re putting all your money
On the sure things
And what kind of return
Are you lookin’ at for that?

I’ll sit right where I am

That’s what I keep telling everybody

I wasn’t raised
To go with the crowd

I saw the crowd take my old man
Right off a fuckin’ cliff
So I’ll stay where I am
Thank you very much

With the guy who doesn’t have
The silver spoon in his mouth
And Daddy’s money
In his pocket

The funny thing is--

Even with all that
Sometimes those guys
Still lose

Isn’t that crazy?

Every reason in the world
For them to walk away with the prize
All the time
Every time

And sometimes

They still can’t make it happen

No comments:

Post a Comment