Sunday, September 22, 2019

All My Book Clubs

I’m in a couple book clubs

I’m in the Cookbook Club
And the Recipes Club
Which are--they’re similar
They’re very similar
But one meets once a month
And one meets twice a month
So that’s--
That’s a difference, uh--

I’m in a Classics Club
I never read those books
But I like the meetings

I just don’t--

I mean, it’s a nice idea
A Classics Club
Reading, you know,
The Grapes of Wrath
Or what have you
But I just can’t bring myself to--

There must be a reason
Is what I’m saying
There must be a reason why
People never get around
To reading those books
Don’t you think?

And I don’t want to tamper with that
With whatever that, uh, reason is

But the meetings are fun
There’s a guy in the meeting
His name’s Miller
That’s his first name
Isn’t that funny?
Miller as a first name
Never heard that before
He’s a nice man
He reads the books as well
Seems to enjoy them
Most of them
So maybe I would too
But I’ll just, uh, never know

I’m in a Mystery Book Club
Which I quite enjoy
Because I can never figure out
Who did it

I’m terrible at figuring out
Who’s done anything
No matter what it is

Spill on the kitchen floor?
No idea how it got there

Missing keys?
Clueless

And I’m always missing my keys
And finding them in places
I’m not sure I put them
And I’m always saying
‘How did this happen?’
And I never find out

I bring that up in my Mystery Book Club
And everybody just looks at me
But they’re supposed to like mysteries
So I don’t see why it’s so strange
That I would want their help
In figuring out
What’s going on with my keys

I’m in all the TV Book Clubs
All the, uh, the--

And the Movie Star Book Clubs
And the Influencer Book Clubs
And the, you know, the Book Clubs
Run by--People, who, uh--

Pretty much anybody
Who reads books
And thinks
People should talk
About the books they read
Uh, I read those books
Or, you know, I try, but, uh--

I have to tell you
I don’t know
I don’t know if you know this, but--

Books can, uh, take a long time
To read

And sometimes they’re not, uh
You know
Fun to read
Either

And when they’re not fun
They take even more time to read

And, uh, you know
Not everybody has
All the time they need
To read all the books they need to read
For all the Book Clubs they’re in
Which is a lot
Which is--
Uh
More than--
And you know
I keep joining them
Which isn’t helping, but, uh--

But I like the people
I really--

I don’t always like the books
But, uh
I really enjoy
The people
And, uh, if that’s what I get
If that’s what I get out of it
Then--

I think that’s okay

I hope it is

I really hope It’s okay

No comments:

Post a Comment