Wednesday, September 11, 2019

What I Saw on the Sonogram

What we saw on the sonogram
Looked like a tail

The doctor said--

’No tail’

But I looked at John
And I gave John that look that said--

‘I see a tail and we’re talking about the tail
When we get in the car
And we’re getting a new doctor
And I’m Googling “Babies with Tails”
As soon as we get home’

But when we got in the car
John said he didn’t see the tail

But that’s John

That’s my husband

He sees what he wants to see
And he doesn’t see what he doesn’t want to see
And the last thing he’d want to see
Would be a tail

John is--

John would say--

As long as the baby is healthy
Who cares if it has a tail?

And I don’t care

I want to make it clear
Right now
That I don’t care
If my baby
Has a tail

I will love that little kangaroo baby
No matter what it looks like

But

It seems like, you know
If we could, I don’t know
Do something
About the tail
Why not
You know
Do it?

So that’s what I said

And I said I wanted a new doctor

Because my doctor
A man
Was insisting
That there was no tail
And meanwhile
I’m looking right at it

I’m looking right at a tail
And he’s saying there’s no tail
As if I don’t know what a tail is
As if I’ve never seen a tail before
As if I don’t even know
What a dog or a cat or a--a-a--

A thing with a tail is!

Oh, he says, but listen
To how strong
The heartbeat is

And I’m saying--

Yeah, yeah, yeah
But there’s a TAIL!

And people have been born with tails

That’s what Google says

I looked it up

It’s not unheard of

So I call the doctor
John said I called him triumphantly
But that’s not accurate
I didn’t call him triumphantly
I just called him
To tell him
He was wrong
And I was right
About the tail

And he said that while some people
Are born with tails
My baby does not have a tail

So I hung up on him
And decided on having a midwife

A midwife who specializes in tails

I looked it up
And they have
Those kind
Of midwives

They have everything these days
Anything you can think of, they have

And it’s a good thing too

Because you can’t take any chances

Not with your baby
Not with tails
Not with anything

You really
Have to be prepared

For anything

No comments:

Post a Comment