Thursday, October 8, 2020

Dracula and The Count Talk About Being Vampires

      (A castle. DRACULA is hanging decorations. THE COUNT is playing the organ.)

DRACULA:  Is Nosferatu coming?

THE COUNT:  I sent him three--three invitations.

DRACULA:  And he did not respond?

THE COUNT:  He did not.

DRACULA:  Typical.

THE COUNT:  I don't think he likes me.

DRACULA:  He doesn't like anyone.

THE COUNT:  I've heard from three--three people that he was talking behind my back.

DRACULA:  Saying what?

THE COUNT:  That I'm not really a vampire.

     (A beat.)

DRACULA:  I see.

     (A beat.)

THE COUNT:  Are you not shocked to hear such a thing?

DRACULA:  I mean...It's not very nice.

THE COUNT:  It's not true!

DRACULA:  It's very rude.

THE COUNT:  And untrue!

DRACULA:  I hear you.

THE COUNT:  Four!  Four times you have not agreed with me that it is untrue.

DRACULA:  It's just that--

THE COUNT:  Yes?

DRACULA:  I've never seen you, you know, do vampire stuff.

THE COUNT:  Do you not see my teeth?

DRACULA:  Teeth are teeth. I'm talking about using them.

THE COUNT:  You're talking about biting?

DRACULA:  I'm talking about biting.

THE COUNT:  You want me to bite people?

DRACULA:  That's...what we do.

THE COUNT:  How many people would you like me to bite?

DRACULA:  It is not about me wanting you to bite people.

THE COUNT:  Three?  Should I bite three people?

DRACULA:  You like the number three very much I have noticed.

THE COUNT:  What number do you like?

DRACULA:  I am partial to seventeen.

THE COUNT:  Then I will bite seventeen people.

DRACULA:  If that's what you want to do.

THE COUNT:  I have a question.

DRACULA:  Yes?

THE COUNT:  Can any of them be muppets?

DRACULA:  What?

THE COUNT:  There are not a lot of people on the street where I reside. Can I bite muppets instead?

DRACULA:  Wait, you actually live on Sesame Street?

THE COUNT:  Yes. I am resident of Sesame Street.

DRACULA:  Isn't it a street in New York?

THE COUNT:  Yes.

DRACULA:  You mean to tell me there is a castle sitting on a street in New York City?

THE COUNT:  Yes.

DRACULA:  Where? Next to the Sbarro?

THE COUNT:  Two. Two houses down from the T-Mobile.

DRACULA:  And you can't find any people to bite?

THE COUNT:  Muppets are just more convenient?

DRACULA:  People muppets or--?

THE COUNT:  Well there aren't a lot of those.

DRACULA:  So you're going to bite an animal?

THE COUNT:  I would never. You can't go around biting animal muppets. They're adorable.

DRACULA:  So who--?

THE COUNT:  Maybe a monster? Got a lot of those. Two monsters. Three monsters. Four--

DRACULA:  It's pointless to bite a monster. That doesn't make you a vampire.

THE COUNT:  Now you're in charge of who is and isn't a vampire?

DRACULA:  I never said that.

THE COUNT:  You said it multiple--multiple times!

DRACULA:  I'm just telling you how you can show that you're committed to the cause.

THE COUNT:  It's a cause now?

DRACULA:  I won't apologize for having pride in who I am.

THE COUNT:  Have your pride. I'm talking about biting a perfectly delicious monster!

DRACULA:  That's revolting.

THE COUNT:  Says you.

DRACULA:  I'm a vampire.

THE COUNT:  So am I!

     (A beat.)

DRACULA:  Well...

THE COUNT:  Five. Five times have I been more insulted than this in my life.

DRACULA:  You've been this insulted five other times?

THE COUNT:  Yes. My brother the Duke was VERY insulting.

DRACULA:  Just go bite someone--a person--and then tell everyone about it and you'll be fine.

THE COUNT:  You'll tell Nosferatu if I do that?

DRACULA:  Yes.

THE COUNT:  Because I could bite Bert.

DRACULA:  Is he a muppet?

THE COUNT:  He's a person muppet.

DRACULA:  Is his skin made out of felt?

THE COUNT:  Fine! A person!  I'll bite a person.

DRACULA:  Probably for the best.

     (A beat.)

THE COUNT:  Should I stop eating garlic as well?

     End of Play

No comments:

Post a Comment