Thursday, October 1, 2020

Before It Goes Cold

      (MICHAEL and MICHELLE have just sat down to dinner.)

MICHAEL:  You've never cooked me this before.

MICHELLE:  What?

MICHAEL:  This meal. This--This particular meal.

MICHELLE:  What of it?

MICHAEL:  You've never cooked this particular meal before.

MICHELLE:  I suppose I haven't.

     (A beat.)

MICHAEL:  Well?

MICHELLE:  Well?

MICHAEL:  What made you decide to cook it today?

MICHELLE:  I don't know, I suppose. I suppose...I don't know.

     (A beat.)

MICHAEL:  Well, it looks wonderful.

MICHELLE:  Thank you.

     (MICHAEL picks up a forkful of food, but MICHELLE doesn't make a move.)

MICHAEL:  Aren't you going to, uh...?

MICHELLE:  I thought I'd let you eat first.

     (A beat.)

MICHAEL:  Why?

MICHELLE:  To see if you enjoy it.

MICHAEL:  I'm sure I will.

MICHELLE:  I hope so.

     (A beat. MICHAEL puts the fork down.)

MICHAEL:  You should eat with me.

MICHELLE:  I will.

MICHAEL:  At the same time as me.

MICHELLE:  I'm sitting here, aren't I?

MICHAEL:  But you're not eating.

MICHELLE:  Do you know how many times I've sat here pushing food around a plate while you gobbled down what I'd made without saying a word? Not asking me how my day was. Not telling me about yours. It's not unusual. It's gone on like that many times.

MICHAEL:  Are you mad?

MICHELLE:  Mad? No. Not at all. Why would I be mad?

MICHAEL:  You sounded--

MICHELLE:  If I were mad, would I have made you such a beautiful dinner?

     (A beat.)

MICHAEL:  I'm not sure I'm hungry.

MICHELLE:  You're always hungry. All you do is eat.

MICHAEL:  I should watch my weight.

MICHELLE:  You're a handsome man. I'm very attracted to you. Eat your dinner.

MICHAEL:  I'd rather not.

MICHELLE:  I'm becoming offended.

MICHAEL:  It's not you, you see, it's just...stomach trouble.

MICHELLE:  Stomach trouble?

MICHAEL:  Yes, my stomach is troubled.

MICHELLE:  Oh how sad. Perhaps you should go lie down.

MICHAEL:  Yes, perhaps I should.

MICHELLE:  And then I can minister to you.

     (A beat.)

MICHAEL:  Pardon?

MICHELLE:  Nurse your back to health. You'll be completely dependent on me. That's how it'll have to work.

MICHAEL:  I'm sure it's nothing that serious.

MICHELLE:  Oh, you can never be too sure. If you've lost your appetite, it may be something serious.

MICHAEL:  I doubt it.

MICHELLE:  You're not a doctor.

MICHAEL:  I'm feeling better I think.

MICHELLE:  Then eat your dinner.

     (A beat.)

MICHAEL:  You know what? You're right. I've been insensitive all these years. Scooping up food and shoveling it into my mouth like some sort of hog. You should eat first. I should get to watch you enjoy the delightful meal you've prepared before I enjoy mine.

     (A beat.)

MICHELLE:  All right.

     (She begins to eat. She moans with pleasure as she chews. MICHAEL feels relieved.)

MICHAEL:  Actually I am rather hungry.

     (He picks up a fork.)

MICHELLE:  I thought you might be.

MICHAEL:  Well watching you eat what you've prepared for us has activated my appetite, I suppose.

    (He goes to take his first bite.)

MICHELLE:  Well I didn't prepare both together of course.

MICHAEL:  What?

MICHELLE:  I always prepare our meals separately.

MICHAEL:  Why do you do that?

MICHELLE:  I don't know. I suppose there are some things I would prefer to put in your meal that I'd rather not have in mine.

MICHAEL:  Like what?

MICHELLE:  I don't know, I suppose.

MICHAEL:  Salt?

MICHELLE:  Well, we both like salt.

MICHAEL:  Parsley?

MICHELLE:  Well, we both like parsley.

MICHAEL:  Nothing too spicy I hope?

MICHELLE:  Like what?

MICHAEL:  Like something that would...aggravate my digestive tract?  Or, uh, perhaps, my cardiac system?

    (MICHELLE smiles.)

MICHELLE:  Now why would I want to upset your system in such a way?

MICHAEL:  I don't know. But I would hope you wouldn't.

MICHELLE:  You should hope so.

MICHAEL:  I do hope so.

MICHELLE:  Well, there you go.

MICHAEL:  Where do I go?

MICHELLE:  I'm just reaffirming that--There you go.

     (A beat.)

MICHEAL:  I suppose I should take my first bite.

MICHELLE:  I suppose you should.

MICHEAL:  Before it gets cold.

MICHELLE:  It won't stay warm forever.

MICHAEL:  That's true.

MICHELLE:  Warm things can so quickly turn cold, can't they?

MICHAEL:  Yes, I suppose they can.

MICHELLE:  So quickly.

MICHAEL:  Yes.

MICHELLE:  Before you know, everything's gone--cold.

    (A moment. MICHAEL picks up his fork, food on it, and brings it to his mouth, as--)

     Blackout

No comments:

Post a Comment