Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Go Deep

I used to have him over

Because there was nothing good

On tv


Before tv was a thousand channels

And streaming

And days and days

Of content


You would go out

You would come home

And it would be

Quiet


It would be quiet

And you would have to--


Actually make

A phone call

At 2am

To a guy

And act like--


I mean, it wasn’t like

Sending a text

And pretending like--


Maybe I just wanted you

To see it tomorrow


You had to potentially

Wake someone up

And let them know

That you were so--


And if you got

That wager wrong?


Oooooohhhh


But with him

I never got it wrong


That’s why

It was always him


He was always up

Because he was working from home

Way before anybody else was

Doing IT and data analysis

And all this other shit

That I didn’t understand


And he was cute


I mean, he wasn’t going to be

On anybody’s top ten list ever

But he was cute

And the biggest thing was

He never gave me shit

For having him be

Exactly what I needed

Him to be

Which was--available


He’d come over

And he’d sit on the couch

And I’d offer him

Something to eat

But he never wanted anything

Which was good

Because I never had

Any food

In my fridge


He’d ask me about my night

And I’d tell him

About the club

And how nobody was there

And it wasn’t fun

And I fought with one of my friends

And I took a cab home

And I really shouldn’t be spending

Any money on cabs

And then he’d tell me

To put on whatever was playing

At the club

So we could dance together


And, you know,

Men ask for such

Strange shit

And most of it

Is really problematic

So when all my booty call

Wanted to do

Was dance to one song with me

Before we could both get

What we were looking for

I really didn’t see

Anything wrong with it


But what I didn’t expect

Was that he’d want

Something upbeat


He wasn’t trying to be romantic


The man never left his house

And he never got to experience

What it was like to be at a club

Having a terrible time

And then

For one minute

A song comes on

That you love

A Janet Jackson song

And you feel

Everything you’re supposed to feel

When you’re having a night like that


Sexy

Fun

Carefree


So I would put on ‘Go Deep

And he and I would dance

And I’d turn on

The lamp with the purple lightbulb

I had in my living room

Because I really was

That 90’s


And that’s how

I used to end the night


Dancing with a good guy


A guy who always answered

When I called

No comments:

Post a Comment