Friday, January 4, 2013

At Least Someone Gave You the Dawn

The problem with you is
You worry so much
About what everybody else is thinking

I don't care
Not one bit
About what anybody else thinks

I never felt so good about myself
I had time left over
To worry about somebody else

And I mean every inch of that sentence

That's why I never had kids
Or got married
Or intentionally spoke to anybody
For thirty-seven years

I just couldn't be bothered
To be...responsible
For anybody

Maybe that's no way to live
Hell, I don't know

I don't have wrinkles
And I can still make my own spit
So I must have done something right

You're so young
And already
I can see age
Bearing down on you

Because you know too much

You got too many ways
To find out
How many people
Don't like you

Back when I was young
If somebody hated you
You only knew it if they told you
And they never did
Because when I was young
People were polite, goddammit

So you went through life
Blissfully unaware

Thinking you were just the best
Until your parents reminded you
You weren't worth shit
And somewhere in there
Was balance, good and proper

Honey, everybody gets their time
And nowadays
With folks living longer
Some people get four or five times

You had your first
And you'll have another
But right now
Somebody else has gotta be in
And that means you gotta be out
And there ain't nothin' to do about it
But say it's so
And go to sleep

At least someone gave you the dawn

A piece of something so beautiful
It only gets better
Every time you see it

The first time I ever saw a dawn
Was on my Daddy's knee
When I was six-years-old
And I'd been up all night
With the flu

He wasn't sure I was going to make it
And then the sun came up
And I asked him if that happened every day
And he said, 'It sure does'
And I remember thinking
Well then, I can't die
Because I don't want to miss out
On a lifetime of that

Ain't that a nice story?

Makes you want to stop crying
Take a deep breath
And press on, don't it?

Hell, I'm old as dirt
And I'm still pressing

As long as there's a dawn to see
I'm going to keep
Trying to see it

Even when I was sick of everything
Life had to offer

Never saw dawn
I didn't like seeing

No comments:

Post a Comment