Monday, November 18, 2019

A Swing That Won’t Stop Swinging

My fear would be
A swing that won’t stop swinging

A lone swing
On a quiet playground
Going back and forth
With nothing to stop it
And no wind
And no reason
To sway

The swing would whip
This way and that
Get caught up
In its own rope

The slide would stay put
The jungle gym empty
The merry-go-round
Would do a turn
Then stop
And never start again

But the swing
Will keep swinging

Up and up
But never over

The tension
Of it
Bursting past
And down again
Never achieved

Just high and in limbo
Trapped in the wide open
Left to stay aloft there
Until somebody
Lets it fall

And when it does
It doesn’t drop
The way it should

Stumbling to the right
It bounces up
And back again
Like bungee jumpers
Trying to give itself
A rattle

I sit in my house
Across from the playground
And try to pretend
It’s just sitting there
Dormant
Not in any kind
Of distress

But finally
I have to break

Racing across the street
I notice the empty wind
The stillness
But all the while
The swing ricochets
It damages the calm

When I get to it
I grab the ropes
But it lashes at me
Cutting up my palms
With blistering thread

With no other choice
I sit on its plank
And as soon as I do
It shoots up
In a forward direction
Nearly sending me
Out across the playground
Past the sand
And the spot
Where the pavement
Begins

Then pulls back
And shows me
The bottom
From a point
At the top

My legs slide down
And nearly off the plank
But then we’re down again

My hands sweat
My mouth opens
But only cold air gets in

I want to let go
I want to drop
I want this to be over

There’s no reason
For the push and pull
The rope should snap
The plank should break
The corridor I find myself in
Should expand far enough
So that I can at least
Go in a circle
Or some other kind of shape
That doesn’t feel so pointless
So limiting
So trapped

I get to the peak
Of the swingset
And with everything I have
Push myself
To bring forth the energy
To take me
Over the bar

And once I do
The swing stops
It deposits me
Back on the ground
Softly

As if it had never even
Moved

An inch

No comments:

Post a Comment