Friday, November 15, 2019

Spiders All Over

There’s a body in the brush
With a still-swollen eye
And a tag around the hand
That says ‘Return Me’

I asked my sister
If she saw it

She said she did
But Mom pulled her away
And called the police

I said--

Did you scream?

She said she didn’t
But Mom did
Because the body
Had spiders all over
And Mom hates spiders

I said, Maybe it wasn’t the spiders
Or not just the spiders
Maybe the body
Made her scream

My sister said, No, it was the spiders
Just the spiders

Two years later
We found out the body
Was a gag
A joke

The police never told Mom
Because she ran right after
She called them
And never left a name
Or a number

We were all sitting out back
Sipping iced tea
Playing Monopoly
In the backyard
The first full day of summer break
And one of our neighbors who was over
Said something about
That dummy they found
Two years ago
In the brush

We all froze

We’d never talked about
The body in the brush
Or the spiders all over it

The whole thing was a prank,
Our neighbor said,
Nursing the iced tea,
One of my friends’ kids
Was mixed up in it
Kids, right?

He looked at me and my sister
When he said it
Even though by then
We were both
Well into our teen years

How’d they get the spiders on it,
My sister asked

The neighbor didn’t know
What she meant

The body, my sister repeated,
It was covered in--

But Mom dropped her glass
And it exploded
On the patio floor

Her hand was shaking
And nobody moved
Because glass
Was everywhere

A year after that
My sister had to be pulled
Away from the edge of a bridge

A car passing by
Saw her standing on the railing
Stopped
And managed to get to her
Right before she fell

She scratched and clawed at him
But he held tight
He was a former firefighter
And he told us later
That she wasn’t the first person
He’d had to hold on tight to
That didn’t want to be held

In the hospital
My sister wouldn’t answer
Any questions

But on her arm
Was a new tattoo
That none of us
Knew she had

One little spider
Crawling up her arm

I’m going to get more, she said
I’m going to get lots more

She fell asleep
Right after that

One strand of hair
Hanging down
In front of her right eye
That nobody
Dared

Touch

No comments:

Post a Comment