Thursday, November 7, 2019

Angie

I got to take you
Away from here

I got to take you
Somewhere
In a beat-up car
And let you cry
Against an open window

I got to take you
By the highway
To another California
One that likes to
Show its age

If you want
You’ll take your books
And your baby dolls
And cut-off jeans
And that diary you write in
That you keep
Behind the couch

Why would I
Try to drive
When I know
I’ll just forget
That there’s no place going
No place worth going

You had lobster tail in Maine
But the gas money is short
And the oil’s never been changed

I got you cigarettes
Plus a map
Plus the sound of Jimmy Hendrix
Making coin
On his guitar

Get your feet up
On the dashboard
Just relax
Just relax
Just relax and figure out
What you do next

You want to leave me
Like you left
Those other guys

You want to find a boat
And find a guy
And find another week
Where you can say
You’re scraping by

What’s the puzzle
What’s the prize
And when will you realize
That you’re not held up
You’re the one
Who holds the cards
And slows ‘em down

You got the game
You call the shots
You tell me where the map
Says to stop

I can’t see your eyes
Behind your long hair

The rain means the windows
Have got to go up

Let the coast disappear
Find the crops
Find the fields
Find a house that looks
Like nobody’s locked the door
In awhile

Hide out somewhere
Hum a song to yourself
Pretend there’s a guitar
To play something on

Take your better angels
Off your left shoulder

Sharpen the knife
Steel the resolve
Run the road
Gun the engine

We could have stayed
In California
But California changed

So now we gotta make
Our own California

In the beds
Of our accusers

Those who wash
But can’t get clean

When we reach the other ocean
I’ll let you lick
The salt off me

But it’s going to take time
It’s going to take lots of time

By then, there’ll be more people
Tucked away in the backseat

I hope you don’t get lost
I hope you don’t lose me

All the things I hope for
Are gifts
Under the tree

I hope wherever I take you
Is somewhere
You can’t bear

To leave

No comments:

Post a Comment