Friday, November 1, 2019

A Zombie and a Gentleman

I just like that we can hang out
And I don’t feel pressured
To do stuff
You know what I mean?

I mean, we do stuff
But after he’s done eating human flesh
He just likes to get chained up
In front of the couch
While he growls at the tv

Which is such a relief
Because after I’m done going over the accounts
At the office all day
The last thing I want to do
Is be around the living

That was why when my friend Mandy said
She wanted to introduce me
To this guy
But did I care that he was a zombie
I was like--

Um, no I don’t care AT ALL

I’ve dated the living for years
And where did that get me?

I wanted to ask Mandy
If a zombie could steal my credit card
And use it to buy his ex-wife
A new tattoo

Instead I just took down
Grumble’s number

I call him Grumble
I have no idea if that’s his real name

When I met him
He couldn’t talk
And one of his arms was missing
But he had on a really spiffy shirt
When he died
So he still came across as being, like,
Very stylish
Very put-together

I sort of lovingly nicknamed him Grumble
And when I called him that
One of his eyes popped out
And I was just like--

Oh my god, it’s a sign

And the next thing I know
We’re headed to Vegas

Yeah, I don’t waste any time

When I see something I like
I either marry it or put it in my cart

I could tell Grumble wasn’t going to be on the market long

He still owned the house he had
When he was alive
Because he didn’t have any relatives

His fridge still had some Halo Top in the freezer
And his cable bill was paid up
Two months in advance

You do not sit on your hands
When you meet a man like that

Our first date was six months ago
And we have been so happy ever since

People are always saying--

Isn’t it weird being with a zombie?

And I go--

Um, mind your business
AND no it’s not weird

As long as I remember
To Febreeze him
Every now and again
There are literally no problems
With this arrangement

Does he ever try to bite me?

Yeah, sometimes, maybe

But only if I don’t pull my hand away
When I’m feeding him the mannequin parts
Covered in ground up pork

It’s not good for him
His complexion gets worse
If he doesn’t eat actual flesh
But it’s so hard to come by these days

What with Uncle Sam
Telling us how we can live
And what kind of meat we can buy
From despotic countries

I feel like so many people
Want to stand in the way
Of our happiness

When all I want to do
Is be married to the man of my dreams
And all he wants to do
Is eat people
And lumber around with his arms out

It’s really sad
That a woman and a zombie
Can’t just live their--my--life
Without all this judgment

Every night
When I trick him
Into going down to the basement
So I can put him
In the cage I bought online
So he wouldn’t keep escaping

I look deep into that eye
And I think--

Wow, how did I ever get so lucky?

No comments:

Post a Comment