Friday, November 15, 2019

How I Want My Steak

I want my steak
To be sitting across from me
Sweating

Its eyes on my knife
Its udders utterly still

A fly buzzes
Around its snout

The steak still identifies as a cow
But I only see it for what it is

An entree

Every so often
Its tail wags

All the waiters in the restaurant
Hang back
Waiting--as waiters should
To see where this road
Will take us

The smell of the farm
Still radiates
Off the meal
As its tongue darts out
To slap its nose

This might just be a nervous tic
It would startle a meaker man
But I am no such man

I am hungry
I am a carnivore

The steak’s heart beats
Steadily
Its pulse a fascinating rhythm
My new favorite tune
A song for the ages

I picture it slowing
Then coming
To a sudden
Halt

The steak moves
The soup spoon around
Very uneasy
Very unable
To calm itself

The other diners
Chew on their medium rares
Their rares
Their--bile rising--

Well dones

They look at me
And ask themselves
Why I would dare
Take things this far

It’s none of you concern,
I’d like to say to them

I shall eat my dinner
How I choose
In whatever way I choose

Rare is respectable
For cowards and weaklings

I am a man
I eat my meat
While it still has dreams

While it still has memories
While it still feels that tug of hope
That might mean a reprieve
From its destiny

No plates are needed
A fork will suffice for cutlery
Even though I would gladly
Rip into my steak
With bare hands alone

I honor the meat
With my savagery
With my lack of hesitation

What’s going on now
As I sit mere inches from it
Is the dance that we do
Before the honeymoon
Before the feast

Before a glint in my teeth
Becomes a light so powerful
It outshines even the most squeamish
Of onlookers

They will see this is primal
This is commendable
This is right

I pick up my knife
I lick the sharp side of the blade
Not afraid of a little cut on my tongue

Eager to have my blood
Mix with the bovine blood
That will soon be spilled

I aim the dagger
I steel my resolve
I ask for forgiveness
For the indulgence I’ve enjoyed
In waiting this long

And then--

The cow rushes me
Knocking the table aside
Stampeding me to the ground
Stomping on my face and body
With its cobblestone hooves

Soon after
I am gone

My ghost trapped
Inside a painting
Hung on the wall
Near the men’s restroom

Meanwhile the steak
Eats a salad at a nearby table
And receives compliments
On its fine
Delectable

Physique

No comments:

Post a Comment