Monday, November 4, 2019

Two Dreams

Can you imagine me now?

Imagine me
At a hotel

A nice hotel
Not like when I used to call you
Out of my mind
Scraping together enough money
From white envelopes
To live a few days
In a strange city
Trying to make friends
Wherever I could

Now I’m just traveling
Taking trips
Real trips
Not caring if I meet anyone at all

I take my sketchpad
And I walk around
And draw whatever I see
And whatever I’d like to see

When I’m done I go home
And yes, I have a home
And yes, it’s mine

Bought it on an upswing
And paid for it
On the comedown

Wasn’t easy, but I did it

There’s furniture
There are curtains on the windows
Sometimes there’s even food
In the fridge
And sometimes I cook it
And sometimes it goes bad
But I hear that happens to people
Even when they aren’t
Total screw-ups

But sometimes nothing goes bad
And sometimes I clean my floors
And sometimes I hang my clothes up
And most of the time
Even when it’s a mess
It’s the same kind of mess
You’d find in any other house

Can you imagine that?

I have a bank account
I pay my taxes
I have a general practitioner
And I make dentist appointments
And get my oil changed
And I have--

Wait for it

--A plant

A real one

And I’ve kept it alive
For the past six months
And even though it’s one of those plants
That you really can’t kill
Because it can absorb water
It’s sort of like a cactus
But it’s not a cactus
Because I didn’t want anything
With pins or pricks in my house
But it’s sort of like that
A succulent
It’s called a succulent
And I’m its parent
I’m responsible for it
A living thing

Isn’t that wild?

Can you imagine that?

I’m sitting here in a hotel
And I wanted to call you
Because I knew you’d never believe me
If you didn’t hear my voice

You probably won’t believe me anyway
And I don’t blame you

There was a time....

There was a time
When I wouldn’t have believed it either

Me
Here
This
Like this

Any of it

And I think not being able to imagine it
Was part of what kept me
From having it

One night I fell asleep
And I had two dreams

One where I wound up okay
And one where I wound up dead

And the two dreams were happening
At the same time
Like on two back-to-back movie screens

And I liked one movie
A lot better than the other

Plus I saw that it could happen

I didn’t have to imagine it anymore

Now I’m here

And it’s not the first dream
But it’s not the second one either

And that’s good enough for me
For now

Until my imagination gets a little better

Until I can dream

Of something else

No comments:

Post a Comment