Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Closing Argument

--  Influence #4:  It may seem strange that I consider David E. Kelley an inspiration, but if you think about it, it would be odder if he weren't.  The man is a pioneer of television, and if you read anything I write, you know that television is probably the biggest influence of all when it comes to me.  I think I was most struck by him during what I would call his Renaissance--that's right, I'm talking about when he had two diametrically different television shows on the air at the same time--Ally McBeal (unfairly maligned to this day, when it was good it was unstoppable) and The Practice (ditto).  He even managed to do a cross-over between the two that went off without a hitch.  So no, I never made an effort to watch Boston Legal, and no I've never even seen Picket Fences, but I do know that there hasn't been a writer in the history of television who can write a closing argument like David E. Kelley, and so how else could I honor him but by writing one of my own?  Conveniently, I've been wanting to write one anyway--sort of.  I'm sure many of you got that letter via spam e-mail or myspace bulletins about the two young boys who killed a toddler, and I won't shy away from the word "mercilessly," in England, who were up for whatever kind of parole you have when you're in your twenties after having killed a toddler at the age of nine.  I could never get those boys out of my mind, but more than that, I could never get past people damning them to Hell on every discussion board where the case was brought up.  It disgusted me.  These boys were nine, and yes, what they did disgusted me, but again, they were nine.  They were children.  Why didn't anyone ask HOW this happened, rather than just say "Throw them in jail.  They're depraved."  It was the most blatant example of taking the easy way out that I'd ever seen.  If you're one of those people who would say, "Well, what about the little boy?"  The little boy is gone, and I'm one to look to the living, not the dead.  Does that make me sound heartless?  I find it more heartless to say someone is going to burn in Hell for what they did when they still too young to drive, to even be in junior high school.  I thought of when I was nine, and the mistakes I could have made then.  I wanted to say something, not simply in defense of those boys, but in defense of society standing in judgment of its own productions.  It's own monsters, you might say.  Well, six of one...  --

"The Closing Argument"

There are facts.
Isn't that comforting?
To know
That there are facts?

I find that comforting.

Two boys.
Young boys.
Kill another boy.
Younger than them.
But they're very young.
The boy they kill?
Even younger.

We're dealing with children.

That's not comforting.
It's discomforting.
But there are facts.
We can go back to facts.

They tortured this boy.
It was not an easy murder.
It was prolonged.
It was gruesome.
It was horrific.
This was not easy.
This case is not easy.
And the answers for why
Why this happened
Those aren't easy either.

Standing before you
Are two men
Young men
But not as young
As the two boys
Who murdered that child
A toddler
He was that young
To be considered a toddler

It's discomforting
Isn't it?

I can see some of you
Shifting in your seats
Rocking back and forth
Feeling uncomfortable
I'm sorry
I'm sorry that you have to feel that way
But it'll all be over soon
For you

These young men
Are asking for a chance at life
A chance that they denied
To a young boy
Who would be graduating high school now
Going off to college
Starting a life

Or becoming a drug addict
Becoming a drug dealer
Becoming an awful person
Who knows?
If you say one
You have to say the other
One is easy
The other one is uncomfortable
But you have to say both
You have to consider both

That's why we're here
To consider
Not to attack the dead
But to consider
What they could have become
To consider that they might not
Have become much different
From the two young men
Sitting in front of you

This is a closing argument
And let me making something clear
This is truly a closing argument
There will be no arguments after this
No chance to go back and reconsider
All considering is done now
All thinking on the issue
There will not be another time
To apply sensitivity
Or mercy
Or vengeance

This is it

You can say they showed no mercy
When they murdered that boy
But let me remind you
That when you speak of them
You are not allowed to do so
Without recalling
That they themselves
Were children

I don't use that term loosely
We would call nine-year-olds
Children
Wouldn't we?

If a forty-year-old man
Killed a nine-year-old boy
We wouldn't say he killed an adult
We'd say he killed a child
We can relegate the act to adulthood
We deal with the person
The person is a child
We are dealing with people
Who were children
Who were called adults
Who were called monsters
Who were children
It would be inaccurate
To call them adults
Though it may be more

Comfortable

Did we ask back then
What brought two children
To brutally and savagely
Beat and torture
Another child

And I don't mean blame
I'm not asking
If we blamed anyone
I'm asking how this happened
I'm asking what trickled down
Or rose up from the roots
That corrupted
These two young boys

We can't say they're crazy
Craziness is an aberration
The odds that it occurred
In two separate boys
In the same place
At the same time
Who just happened to be friends
Well, that's ludicrous
That's just a ridiculous argument to make

This was no fluke
These boys were soaked through
With some diabolical force
And no, I don't mean a religious force
I mean something as physical
And real
As if we had dunked them in water
Baptized them in hatred
That's what I mean
And I can use religious terminology
If that'll make everyone more--

Comfortable

We didn't ask how they managed to learn
What it's like to withhold mercy
We didn't ask how they managed to learn
To be cruel without feeling guilty
We didn't ask how they managed to learn
The difference between outright killing someone
And making them feel pain first

We didn't ask
We didn't ask them
We didn't ask their parents
We didn't ask the people
That they came into contact with
We didn't ask ourselves
We damn sure didn't ask ourselves
Did we?

We blamed
We blamed their parents
We blamed videogames
We blamed rap music
We blamed rock music
We blamed television
We blamed anything
We blamed everything
But we never turned that mirror
Right around
And said to ourselves

What did I do?

And believe me
We did something
Believe me
There is not a person
In this court today
Who is clean from this
Believe it
Even if it's not

Comfortable

It is possible
Now that these boys
Are old enough
To damn them forever
Or release them
From this crime

These are the options
You've heard the facts
And now
There are options

We can't control facts
But we can choose options
And here they are

I could hire an investigator
I could do that
I'm a lawyer
I have clients
I must go above and beyond for them
Or I would not be a good lawyer

I could find out things
About every one of you
And not just in the jury
But everyone in the courtroom today

I could find out
Who cheats on their spouses
Who cheats on their taxes
Who stole candy from babies
Who stole money via elaborate scams
Who called out sick and went to the beach
Who chose their job over their family
Who took a girl by force one night after drinking too much

Oh, I could find out
All kinds of things
And who knows
I might even find out something
Worse than what my clients have done

But I won't do that
Those sins lie where they lie
Those who are on trial
Are on trial
And the facts are the facts

But I would ask you
With my closing argument
With my closing breath
To look to yourselves
And ask
Before you put these boys away
So that you can go back
To feeling comfortable

What does that comfort cost you?
What happened?
Why did it happen?
Because even after
You put these boys away

Those questions
Aren't going anywhere
And they still
Need to be answered

No comments:

Post a Comment