Thursday, March 5, 2009

Did the Devil Invite You?

--  Influence #5:  My favorite girlfriend of my father's (and yes, I did have one) introduced me to many things that I still hold dear:  Grease 2, Marilyn Monroe, and my fifth influence--Jim Steinman and the music of Meatloaf.  Am I embarrassed by this?  Absolutely not.  I still count "Bat Out of Hell" as my first show album.  Other people may consider it hokey, and it probably is, but to me, it's everything I want and need in rock 'n roll:  Sexual innuendo, nine minute long running times, and theatrics that anybody else would be scared to touch.  Now, enough talk.  Let's rock. --

"Did the Devil Invite You?"

You know it still does the trick
That sick guitar riff
And the smell of your old perfume
When you hitch up your dress
A mess will be coming
And it'll probably be coming soon

Oh I know you didn't come for Jesus
Our souls are far beyond repair
So dare you show up
Just to fill a cup
And dance off your despair?

Did the devil invite you?
Did he send you to spy
Did he beg for information
Or is this just a vacation
From another heartbroken guy?

Are you sad you wound up here
Hanging with the same old crew?
Did the devil tell you to come here
And if he did
What did he tell you to do?

Now look at your flirting
Turning all the heads
With the flash of your thigh
And an eye on the prize

You got a nasty scar
From that fight in '98
With another man's woman
Cause you took the bait

You're looking at me
Like I'm your new destiny
Seeing good in me that's not there
You're going to suck me dry
Then leave me to die
With a flick of the wrist
And a flip of your hair

Did the devil invite you?
Did he ask you to show?
Is he somewhere around here
Watching us dance
And hoping he can follow us
When I take you home

Did the devil invite you?
Did he tell you I had to be had
I know God didn't send you
He won't even defend you
Cause girl when you're bad
Man, you're bad

My new girl appeared
At the end of the night
At first sight she knew
That something wasn't right

She grabbed you by the hair
And tore up the place
And before she was done
You had another scar on your face

And when she finally tossed you
You got lost in the night
And wound up in Shephard's Pond
All the boys were sad
But my girl was still mad
When she told me that you had drowned

And I remember her screaming
Screaming at you
On the top of her lungs--

Take the devil with you
Go on and take him
Take him right out of this bar

Put on your coat
And head out the door
I bet he drives a real nice car

Take the devil with you
Don't let the screen door hit you
When you finally say goodnight

And if you come back again
You better bring a friend
Stronger than the devil next time

No comments:

Post a Comment