Sunday, March 1, 2009

Not Yet

--  This is the first of the "Influence" pieces.  That's right, 1 out of 100.  Why do I always have to take on massive projects?  This coming from a guy who named his college theater company "Epic."  My first influence was easy to pick.  I consider her one of the best actresses of all time, and without a doubt, the most likable.  Breakfast at Tiffany's is one of my favorite movies, and the scene with her singing "Moon River" is a movie in and of itself.  So when it came time to write something dealing with my love of Audrey Hepburn, it didn't take long to figure out what I wanted to do.  She's one of those people you wish had made more movies (you know, the exact opposite of Heather Graham) and so I thought I'd write her one more movie...but that could take a year, so instead, I'll write her final line in the movie.

Picture it--a little old woman, still gorgeous, sitting at a small table at a Parisian cafe.  She's just spent the past few days traveling around the city and meeting all sorts of people.  She's clearly sad about something, but hasn't told anyone what.  As she sits at the table, a waiter approaches.  It's very early in the morning, and music starts to play as the camera focuses on her face.

"Not Yet"

Do you know
I've never been to Paris?
Not until now
And not even now
Not really

I haven't been to the Paris
I thought I'd go to
When I bought my ticket
A few months ago

When I did that
It was a different Paris
I thought I'd see

I'm a silly old woman
With grand thoughts
I suppose

I'm silly because
I wanted to take a train
All around Europe
But my children
Worried for my health

So instead
Just Paris
And not even the real Paris

Nobody was very romantic
Not to me anyway
Not even once

I don't know what I expected
I'm not some spring chicken
But I don't feel old
Not a bit

And so sometimes I forget I look it
I walk around like I'm nineteen
And wait for some nice man
To ask me into a carriage
Or a gondola or something

Which is foolish
They don't have gondolas in Paris
Not that I've seen anyway

Nobody wears berets
Nobody paints on the sidewalks
Nobody is rude
It's not the Paris I dreamed of at all

. . . . .

I dreamed of a man
Who would look like William Holden
Do you remember William Holden?
Or are you too young?

You're a sweet boy
For listening to an old woman
Old enough to be your grandmother
And an American woman too

Do you even understand what I'm saying?

Oh, you're smiling
That means 'No'
I've learned that much here

Still
You must have heard of William Holden
Even here in Paris

He was wonderfully handsome
I had such a crush on him
When I was a girl

When I got married
I remember being distinctly disappointed
That I hadn't married William Holden

William Holden?

No?

No

I can see you don't understand
You're either too young
Or you say his name differently
In French

He seemed like a lovely man
A bit of a cad
But so dashing
Not like my late husband

Nicholas was also lovely
But terribly dull
A bore

Four weeks after we were married
I bought a ticket to Paris
Ready to run off
In search of a French William Holden
Whether he was real or not
I didn't know
I didn't care
I just knew I had to leave

My father met me at the airport
He walked me back to his car
And brought me home
To my husband
And we never talked about it
About me running away
None of us ever talked about it
Never about anything
We never did

Here
Sit down
You've been standing this whole time

Sit
Sit
You must understand sit

Sometimes I think
That my father knew then
And that's why he didn't let me leave

He could see I was pregnant
Even though it had only been four weeks
He knew
And that was why he couldn't let me get on the plane
Even as I cried
Cried
Begging him to let me go

I knew he hated seeing me cry
My mother could watch me cry for days
She was a cruel women
I'm afraid to say

But I was his little girl
And I was so unhappy
All I wanted was to leave
And he didn't let me

And never a word was spoken
And I hated him
Until the day he died

. . . . .

It's a pretty place
Paris
Especially now
Now that I'm leaving

My plane takes off
In a few hours
And I'm not sure
If I haven't seen enough
Or if there's just nothing else to see

I saw the museums
I saw the exhibits
I saw the Eiffel Tower
Everything but what I wanted to see

I wanted to see
What I saw in my wildest hopes
What I thought I missed
When I was home
Raising children
Being a wife
Hating everything

I thought there was a party here
A glorious party
That I wasn't going to

And maybe there was
Maybe I've just arrived too late
What a sad thought that is

. . . . .

Get me an eclair, darling boy
Eclair?
That you know
I'm sure you know 'tip' as well

You'll get a good one
I haven't spent much on this trip
Not nearly as much as I could have
I contemplated going through
My children's inheritance
While I was here

But I haven't
I'm old
But I'm not mean
Not yet

'Not yet'

I suppose those two words
Are what keep people hopeful
While you're alive
There are so many trips you can take
As long as you have a few days in you
And an English-to-something dictionary
And a bit of adventure in you

You're not dead
You're not old
You're not done

'Not yet'

An eclair, darling boy
I might have places to go to yet

No comments:

Post a Comment