Thursday, February 12, 2009

This Can't Be Art

-- I've been wanting to discuss the idea of how smart people deal with grief as oppose to how people who don't even consider themselves "smart" deal with grief.  Part of this was brought up in "Teach..." and I brought this up a bit in my story at Live Bait this month, inspired by my grandmother, and so I guess I'll dedicate this to her. --

"This Can't Be Art"

So what does she call it?
Does she have a word for it?
Is there a word that says
What that is?

I mean
You should name it
Shouldn't you?
Shouldn't there be a name?
For what it is?

Isn't that your job
As an artist
As a creator
As someone who seeks
To show the world
What they can't name
And then name it?

Shouldn't you have a name?
Before you show it

Why do you get to put it out there?
And then not name it
List it 'Untitled'
And have that be that?

I thought
That you artsy people
Were supposed
To know what to call these things

I thought
That when something bad
Happened to you people
It was easier for you
Because you have so many words
So many words at your disposal
Right in front of you
Words I'll never know
That should mean things
I don't know I'm feeling
Even as I'm feeling them

I look at that painting
And I know she's in pain
I can sense that
In there
Somewhere
But I don't really know where

It's like I'm looking
Into a dark room
And I know there's a person in there
I can hear them sobbing
Begging for help
But I can't tell
Just where they are

And I don't have the capacity
To find them
To find a light
To seek them out with
I don't know what to do
Or how to do it
But she should
She should know
How to help herself
Because she's smart
I'm not smart
I don't know
So much
I don't know

I'm standing here
Looking around
Waiting to see
If I recognize someone
Who feels the same way
Who's confused
And scared
And sick of looking at things
And trying to tell what they are

I don't want to guess
I want to be told
I want someone to say
This is what this is
This is all you need to know
This is what will get you
To the next point
To the next painting
To progress you further

But instead
It's just a gallery
Full of paintings
With no names

Everything I have
Is unnamed
Nothing has a title
Nothing can be called
Nothing can be pin-pointed
So how am I supposed
To make any of it
Go away?

This can't be art
Art is supposed to make you
Understand things
I'm here
I'm surrounded
By art
And I don't understand
Anything
I'm only more confused

Aren't you people supposed to help me?
Aren't you supposed to be the smart ones?
I thought you were different
You write books about how you grieve
You write essays
You write poems
You're so active in it
You grieve so forcefully

How do I do that?
Can you tell me?

I feel like I need to be smarter
I feel like it takes being smart
To know that everything will be okay
But I'm not smart
And I never have been
And there's so much I don't know
And I wanted
Was for one thing inside me
To have a name

I wanted to be able
To call this
By its name

No comments:

Post a Comment