Thursday, February 12, 2009

On Being Difficult

-- Just read the title. --

"On Being Difficult"

I am difficult
I am not easy
Not always
Not always ready
To say a kind word
Or let someone off the hook

I'm difficult

I'm not put together
Like a jigsaw puzzle
For six-year-olds
And I'm not looking
To be put together
Anytime soon

I don't want all my pieces
Sliding into each other
So that I can make sense
To people who want to spend all day
Figuring out puzzles
Just so they can throw them
Back in the box
And shove them back in the closet
Only to take them out again
When a rainy day reappears

I'm difficult
I swear
I curse
I blaspheme
Then I go to church
And pray
To a God
I don't necessarily
Believe in
For now

Difficult

I'm complicated
I'm a foreign film
And sometimes
The subtitles
Just don't appear

I shoot myself in the foot
To spite my face
And bite the hand
That feeds me
All at the same time

I hate my body
But I wear skinny jeans
I know what I have
And I know what I don't
And I'm never sure
What goes in Column A
And what's in Column B

I hate my family
But I love my family holidays
Until I'm sitting at a table
With nothing to say
Still gay?
Yup
Okay
That's it

And silence
It's difficult

I'm temperamental
I'm testy
I can hear that someone's talking shit
And let it go
And be okay
And then the next day
When some bitch cuts me off in traffic
I act like she's run me over
With her ranger rover
Till I'm a maniac
So I guess you could say
I not only overreact but I don't even know
When to overreact

I'm difficult
To talk to
When I don't want to talk
And no amount of effort
Can make me listen
When I don't want to listen
And when I don't like you
I don't like you
And then I can love you
Mere seconds later

It's tricky
I'm tricky
I don't mean to be
Tricky
But when I try
To confine myself
To one simple thing
That everyone
Can appreciate
And trust
And understand

I find I'm not that man
And that the man I am
Might be impossible
To befriend
To belittle
To love
To leave
To let go
And to keep

So the question would be?
Am I worth it?

It's difficult
To answer that
Because leave me
Is a luxury
That I've never had

So I've done my best
And been my best
And been an ass
And been left
And left longing
Belonging to nobody
But my difficulty

And it's hard
And I deal
Snakebit and all
If I fall
I fall alone
On a hard surface
And it's hard
It's difficult
To get up again
But I do

Truth be told
I'm not unaware
That it's much more difficult
For you

No comments:

Post a Comment