Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Fell in Love With a Girl

I’m not just going to sit here

Waiting for you

To go in

And get her on the desk


Yes, you are

I know you are

I know what you’re up to


You park everywhere

And you leave me sitting

And I’m not playing around

With it anymore


You want to leave somebody sitting

You bring her out

And leave her in the car sitting


This isn’t like when we were kids

And you’d have me down at the river

Sitting while you were making out

With girls behind the trees


Then as soon as they fall for you

You don’t have time for them anymore

And I have to sit with them

While they cry

And they always cry

And I have to tell them

They’re get over it

Even though they never do


That’s what’s going to happen with her


You’re going to take her on the desk

While her boss is out for lunch

And you’ll get her thinking

That it’s all spontaneity and surprise with you

But it’s not


She’s going to walk outside

After she gets off work

All warm and happy

Because somebody loves her

And wants her


That’s the part

That gets to people


Anybody can love you

But for somebody to want you?


You know how many people

In the world

Are wanted by someone else?


Most of us

Just do the wanting

And the waiting


The sitting in parked cars

With the engines running

Because you can’t even

Be bothered

To take your time

And afterwards you’ll tell her

It was just because

You were worried

Her boss would come back

And she’ll think you’re considerate


She’ll come out in the Buffalo snow

And kick her way down the street

Walking home in the cold

And not even feeling it


Not even trying

To catch the bus

She takes home


I love this girl
And I don’t even know her

Because I know who you go after

And I know

I always wind up

With my hand on their shoulders

Listening to them

Beg me to put in a good word


Like it would matter


Once they want you

And they think

You want them

They can’t want

Anybody else


That’s how you are

With everybody


It’s how people like you are


You come in like a song

And it’s all anybody can hear

And it gets locked in your throat

And then the next thing you know

Two minutes goes by

And it’s over


But you keep humming it

And humming it

And the fucking singer

Mumbles so bad

You don’t even know

The words to this thing

You can’t get out of your head


You’re up on a desk

With your legs in the air

While some poor fucker

Sits outside

With the engine running

And the whole world

Is waiting on somebody

Who’s waiting on somebody

Who doesn’t give a fuck

How long he keeps

Anybody waiting


Somewhere in there

Somebody would call that love


Love, right?


A song you wish

You never fucking heard

That you can’t get out of your head


Kicking your way down the street


Just kicking and wishing

You couldn’t hear anything

That sounded like music

Ever

Again

No comments:

Post a Comment