Thursday, June 18, 2020

The Octopuses Discuss Giving Birth

Inspired by an episode of RadioLab

          (BLUE and BELLA are at the bottom of the ocean.)

BLUE:  How long before they hatched?

BELLA:  I think it was five years.

BLUE:  Five?

BELLA:  Maybe a little more than five.

BLUE:  You sat on those eggs for FIVE years?

BELLA:  Maybe a little more.

BLUE:  How did you do that?

BELLA:  I just tried to get in a comfortable position.  Four of my arms fell asleep, but other than that, it wasn't so bad.

BLUE:  Five years.

BELLA:  At one point, some crabs tried to eat me.

BLUE:  What did you do?

BELLA:  I ate them instead.

BLUE:  My god.

BELLA:  I was actually thrilled they were stupid enough to attack me.  I was starving.

BLUE:  You must have been so weak.

BELLA:  Oh, I was practically dead.  I think I was translucent.

BLUE:  Did you ever think about...not having eggs?

BELLA:  Well, what else is there to do?

BLUE:  It's not like we're endangered.

BELLA:  Maybe not, but we can't just stop having eggs because we don't feel like sitting on them for five years.

BLUE:  That seems like a...great reason to stop having eggs.

BELLA:  Blue, I don't want to be the reason there are no more octopuses.

BLUE:  Bella, if god made it that difficult for us to exist, I'm not we're meant to.

BELLA:  You're making such a thing about it.  The five years went by in no time.

BLUE:  Really?

BELLA:  No, but the thing about being done with something is that you immediately start to forget how much time you spent on it.  The important thing is just to finish.

BLUE:  I guess.

BELLA:  Plus, I didn't know it would take five years for them to hatch.  Had I known, I might have been 'Nooooooooooooooo' hahahaha...But I didn't know, so.

BLUE:  Well, I'm not going to have eggs.

BELLA:  But...you have to.

BLUE:  Bella, you just gave birth to what I'm assuming was a fine litter of octopuses.  I don't need to add more of us into the ocean at the moment.

BELLA:  What are you going to do instead?

BLUE:  Instead of sitting in one place for five years trying not to die so my children can suck the warmth out of me?  Gee, I don't know--ANYTHING else?

BELLA:  But we all do it.

BLUE:  That's not a reason to do something.  Especially not something this intense.

BELLA:  But if you're not going to do it, then why did I do it?

BLUE:  I don't know.  Why DID you do it?

BELLA:  I DON'T KNOW!

BLUE:  Not that you shouldn't be proud of yourself.

BELLA:  I murdered seventy-eight crabs.

BLUE:  You could also be proud of that.

BELLA:  I'm a murderer!

BLUE:  Maybe not when you put it that way.

BELLA:  I didn't even get to talk to the kids.  Technically I'm supposed to die after they're done hatching, but I kind of...snuck away.

BLUE:  You abandoned them?

BELLA:  They ran!

BLUE:  They ran?

BELLA:  Well, they can't really...run.  They have those little legs.  They sort of slither.  They slithered away from me.

BLUE:  Are they okay?

BELLA:  I...think so?  It's not like I ever knew my parents.  Did you know yours?

BLUE:  I was adopted by lobsters.

BELLA:  Really?

BLUE:  They were great.  I mean, my mom was, my dad and I have a whole...yeah.

BELLA:  Do you think you're a better octopus because you had them in your life?

BLUE:  I think that...I'm good at thinking for myself.

BELLA:  What does that mean?

BLUE:  Um, okay, well, uh--Tell me to have kids.

BELLA:  You need to have kids.

BLUE:  No.

BELLA:  Wow!

BLUE:  Right?

BELLA:  You said that with such confidence.

BLUE:  And I didn't even have to think about it.

BELLA:  You just spit it right out.

BLUE:  I know.

BELLA:  Murder some crabs!

BLUE:  I don't want to.

BELLA:  Blue, I am...so impressed.

BLUE:  You can be the same way, Bella.  Like, maybe--don't have any more eggs.

BELLA:  I don't know.  Mating season is supposed to start tomorrow.

BLUE:  So don't mate.  Or--mate, but do that thing with your fifth arm so nothing...gets out of hand.

BELLA:  You do the fifth arm move?

BLUE:  I do the fifth arm move all the time.

BELLA:  Doesn't the male octopus notice?

BLUE:  No, he's too busy floating away at that point.

BELLA:  You're so smart, Blue.  I wish I had been raised by lobsters.

BLUE:  Maybe you could adopt a jellyfish or something and teach it to think for itself.

BELLA:  Blue, don't be crazy, jellyfish are despicable.  That's like asking me to raise an oil spill.

BLUE:  Then just find meaning in being you and being the best you that you can be.

BELLA:  How do I do that?

BLUE:  Make choices you feel good about.

BELLA:  Like going to live in that shipwreck we passed by earlier?

BLUE:  If that's what you want.

BELLA:  That IS what I want.

BLUE:  Then do it!

BELLA:  I will!

BLUE:  Great!

     (A beat.)

Do you think I should try to find my kids first?

BELLA:  I think you need to find yourself first.

     (BLUE gasps.)

BLUE:  Why couldn't I have met you six years ago?

BELLA:  You mean five years ago?

BLUE:  Well, no, you spend a year being pregnant before you lay the--

BELLA:  SIX YEARS?

     End of Play

No comments:

Post a Comment