Monday, June 8, 2020

Next Year's Prom

I was supposed to be

At last year’s prom

But, um, so--


Obviously, you know

It’s well-known

That we didn’t have a prom
Last year

So I decided to just, like,

Come to this year’s prom

Because, like, I believe

I’m still obligated

To go to prom


Um, I did ask a few seniors

This year

Who, like, I knew from last year

If they would go with me

But they were like--


Um, no


So--I was like--


I’ll just go


Like, I still live in town

Because I’m attending

Oxford remotely


Um, well, it’s not

Exactly

Oxford

But I’m reading this book

That’s set at Oxford

So I’m getting almost

The exact same education

Plus I’m learning a lot

About Death Eaters


But, like, how awesome

To, um, get out of the house

And also

Be like

Getting closure on high school

Which was, um,

I wouldn’t say

The best part of my life

But definitely the sleepiest


Like, I did so much sleeping

At home

In class

In the rafters during the volleyball finals


I just want to acknowledge

And honor

All those naps, you know?


So, like, I’m here

I’m dressed up

In my best steampunk

Mad Hatter cosplay costume

And I’m ready to stand in the corner

And make fun of everyone

Before passing out behind the DJ booth
During a slow dance


I know some people are, like,

Shooting me looks

Being like--


It’s so sad how he’s back here


But, like, a year ago

Everybody was all--


We love the Class of 2020


But, like, nobody thought

To invite any of us

To the next prom, right?


I just feel like

It was all talk


To tell you the truth--


I wasn’t even going to go

To last year’s prom

But then when the government
Was like--


You can’t go


I was like--


I’ll do what I want

Big Brother


But then my big brother

Who’s a doctor

Was like--


Dude, you’ll seriously die


And I was like--


Okay cool, never mind


But now that we got the all clear

I’m totally prepared

To talk about how much the music here sucks

And talk to anybody who will listen

About how underappreciated

Donnie Darko is


And like maybe I’ll go

To the midnight laser tag party

Larissa Tyler is having in her backyard

But, like, I’m not sure

If I’m invited

Because she transferred to our school last year

So I don’t technically know her

But, like, last year it was--


We’re all in this together


So, like, cool

Let’s all play laser tag together, right?


I just think you need

To make sure

You check these big life events

Off your, you know

Life checklist, right?


I’m probably going to go

To graduation this year too

And, like, maybe the year after that

I’ll go to the first day of school


I don’t know


Time’s like not a thing anymore

And so many people

Have those nightmares

Where they’re back in school

So I’m just like--


Well, maybe if you guys

Just showed up at your old high school

Once in awhile

You wouldn’t have those nightmares


Like, maybe the nightmares

Are trying to tell you something, right?


Did I just blow your mind?


Yeah, I do that sometimes


I can’t even control it


I just have a way of looking at things

That nobody else does


I don’t know

Where I got it from, honestly


I mean it’s not like it’s something

You can teach in school

No comments:

Post a Comment