Sunday, December 5, 2010

I Figured I'd See You Again

You know

I figured I'd see you again

Had a dream about it

On a train, I guess

I thought

You'd be sitting
I'd be standing

It'd be late, but not crazy late

Maybe crazy late

Maybe after...something

Dinner for me

A break-up dinner
Me being the breaker

And you coming from a concert
Wasn't that a commercial?

Some kids coming home from a concert
On a train

I remember loving that commercial
I wanted to be one of those kids

Maybe you're just going home
From a bar, where you had a bad time

And you see me
And I see you

And you stand up
And this guy with a boombox hits 'Play'
And it plays 'Downtown Train'
And we start dancing
Even though we're going uptown

And my missing doesn't go away fast enough
So I start to cry down your shoulders
And you don't say 'Stop'
You say 'Gimme.  Gimme all your tears.'

I figured we'd get off at the next stop
And go to your new place

Little yellow lights hanging from every doorway
And blue coffee mugs with words like 'Hope' on them

We sit on your old sofa
On a blanket
That you got at a yard sale
On a vacation that you took
With some guy I'll never have to know about

And you wrap us up in the blanket
Like you're trying to keep the memories on the outside
And it works

I figured I'd wake up there
And find you and I
A few steps ahead of reality

Those were the parameters I worked out
On the train, on the way back from a break-up
Where I was the break-ee

And the guy sitting across from me
Was reading a book titled, I kid you not--

'Boom Box'

And I figured maybe you weren't in the city
Because online it says you're still in school in Europe
Learning to be a person in pictures
Standing next to world landmarks
Proving to the world your life is worth living

But then I figured maybe you'd be here
Since people visit, people visit other cities
And sometimes they visit this one

But then I figured I was just dreaming
That I was trying to find a reason
To get off the train
And get back onto a life
That had just been derailed

I wanted a door to open
I wanted a chance to present itself

And you were always my best chance

My fighting chance

The chance to be a better version of myself

I figured I was pretty screwed
If I had to give that chance to myself

I don't know where a man keeps his chances
And I've never been a fan of pants with pockets

So I figured I'd be on that train forever

Then two stops after mine
I saw reality get off
And you get on

With a bright red suitcase
And a shirt that said 'Hope'

And the man sitting down
Starting humming 'Downtown Train'

Go figure

No comments:

Post a Comment