Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I'm Sitting Next to an Invisible Man

I'm sitting next to an invisible man
And he wants me to put my hands on him

I try to touch his arm
But instead I go right through him

My fingers feel his coarseness
The rough spots on his existence

I tap, tap, tap on his spine
And I hear him laugh

Then there's weight
From inside lungs

And I feel myself reach points of joy
Previously unmined

I am one with someone
I am connected

I taste red china teacup soup
And see gray pavement raindrop cities

I hear a little girl's hair get blown through the wind
And I sense a little boy two windows above her wishing he could call down

The invisible man looks up inside my memories
Like a child might look up at a church ceiling

Somewhere between what I've lived and what he's imagined
We connect

And for the first time I'm aware
Of how much is inside me

Enough to let another person in
And let them stay

No comments:

Post a Comment