Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Nina the Pink Elephant


What a lovely party
Isn’t this a lovely party?

I’m so glad Faith invited me

I’m so glad to be here

Then again, I’m glad to be anywhere
Especially since I’m dead

But here’s a particularly nice place to be

Oh, I hope I didn’t shock you by mentioning that I’m dead

Don’t worry
It’s not like it defines my life

You see—

When an elephant dies
It's given a choice

Perhaps it's the same for humans
I really wouldn't know

There's a darkness
And then a light
And then a question is posed to you

'How would you like to spend the rest of your life?'

Perhaps I should start from the beginning…

I once lived in a beautiful village
With my husband Walter

We had a wonderful life
But we wanted a child
And we were going to have one and then…

We weren’t

We lost it—the child, I mean, it…

It never came

It's strange to talk about it
And I feel bad

I feel bad talking about it at a party atmosphere
Such as this one
Where there are such lovely h'ordeuvres
But at the same time
It took up such a large portion of my life
I feel like I have nothing else to talk about

Especially since I never was allowed to talk about it

We tried to have other babies
But I couldn’t
I just couldn’t

And Walter would say--It's fine, it's fine

He'd say, It's the stress from the poachers taking your sister
And admittedly, the stress didn’t help
And I did miss my sister
But the other elephants were having calves
And they had all lost family members to the poachers

Eventually I realized I had to do something
Something drastic

An elephant has to have more elephants
That’s just the way things are

It was seeing Walter make eyes at Jennifer
The prettiest elephant in our group
That made my decision for me

I knew what he was thinking

If I couldn't have a baby for him
Then someone had to

He would keep me on as a wife
But I wouldn't be the mother to his calf
And I knew what that life was like

My father had a wife that couldn’t have babies
Before he married my mother
His first wife, Sarah
Would follow behind us when we went anywhere
With her eyes downcast
And her trunk dragging along the ground

I wasn't going to be like Sarah

I knew I could have a baby
If I could just feel safe about it

That's why I did what I did

. . . . .

I knew they were staying in the village
To the west of the watering hole

The men with cameras

The scouting expedition
That's what the monkeys told us they were

They were here from a place in the States
Where they put elephants in nice, large pens
Designed to simulate life in the wild
But without the dangers

If you got to go there
You could spend the rest of your life
Being content
Being fed
Being taken care of

And what they loved more than anything
Was helping animals have children
Because in the States
They love baby animals

I'd mention to Walter the idea
Of walking near the village
To see if we could get them to take us
But he said I was crazy

'A pen in the States?  You mean a cage?  That's what you want for us, Nina?  For our baby?'

He walked away from me--disgusted

I told myself he was against the idea
Because he wanted to be with Jennifer, the pretty elephant
Because he'd given up on us

I thought that if he was forced to be with me
If we traveled together to the States
And they helped us have a child
That things would be better

So that night
When everyone else was asleep

I went to the village

I had to make sure they didn't take just me
But Walter

I didn't want to go to America by myself

So I ran
I ran into the village
Because I wanted them to wake up
I wanted them to see me
And then…

Follow me back

To where Walter was

And the men and women came out of their huts
And screamed
Thinking I was mad

I tried to see if I could pick out the Americans
I thought they would look different

I wanted them to follow me back home

So they could see me and Walter together
So they could see how perfect our baby would be
For their place with the simulated jungle
And the daily feedings
And the children on zoo trips!

When I felt that people were chasing me
I ran back  to Walter as fast as I could go

When I reached the others
Some of the elephants were already awake
Hearing the commotion coming from the village

I saw Walter coming towards me
He'd been worried, I could tell
When he woke up and I wasn't there

He did miss me
He loved me
He was scared for me

That was when I heard the shot
And Walter fell

And he didn’t get up
. . . . .

Some of the elephants got away
Jennifer was one of them, I think

I thought I saw her running back into the jungle
As the shots were going off

I didn't try to run

I just sat by Walter

I just waited

When an elephant dies
It's given a choice

Perhaps it's the same for humans
I really wouldn't know

There's a darkness
And then a light
And then a question is posed to you

'How would you like to spend the rest of your life?'

Because, you see
There's a life on earth
And a life beyond it

I had thrown away my life on earth
And I had ended the lives of others unnecessarily

Because of my own fear and selfishness

So when I saw the light
I saw Walter
And our child
And all the children we would have had

I even saw Sarah
And my sister
The one taken by the poachers

And I could have chosen to stay there
With the ones I loved

But I knew I had to make up
For what I had done

And I remembered my mother
Telling me the story of Atlas
The man who held the world on his shoulders

And I remember admiring him
For his strength
And for taking on so much responsibility

For holding up all the world's pain

So when the question was posed--

'How would you like to spend the rest of your life?'

I remember answering--'Like Atlas.  I'd like to hold up the world.'

. . . . .

Now I'm so many places
Including the bedroom of a little girl named Faith
Whose parents are fighting down in the living room

We don’t talk about the fighting
Faith and I
We just sit

Generally I’ll go anywhere
Where people aren’t talking

Where people don't like to talk
About what it is
They should be talking about

Bedrooms
Hospital waiting rooms
Pretty much everywhere

It's astounding

I sit there, plain as day
Sometimes spilling out of the room I'm in
Into the hallway
Or the next room
And still, nobody talks about me

And that's fine

That's what I asked for

The ability to hold the weight and pain of others
So they won't have to
Until they can

And sometimes when they finally see me
And address me
They're still not ready
But I have no say about when that happens

I just try to do what I've been allowed to do

But tonight I’m here at Faith’s party
Because she asked me to be

It’s a wonderful party

I could stay here forever
But then I wouldn’t be doing my job
And that wouldn't be right

Although it is a wonderful party

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to come in my normal form

Faith sees me for what I am
A big elephant--a pink one
Because it's her party
And she likes pink
And as her guest, it's the least I can do

But everyone else sees me in a more acceptable form

Yes, I've noticed you looking at me strangely
Thinking--My word, this lovely woman in red talking to us
Thinks that she was an elephant in a past life

Well, yes, it was a past life
And I suppose if I wanted to
I could say that I was a woman
And nobody would be the wiser

I could make up a new past
A better one
One not quite as tragic

But the truth is
I'm an elephant

I'll always be an elephant

And that's simply something
I simply can't forget

No comments:

Post a Comment