Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Mostly Forgotten Spider

They don't know I'm here

Which is fine

I have my web
I have my flies
I still have all my legs

Why complain?

I'm used to it

My sister is the famous one

She wrote messages about goats, hogs, something like that

Who has time for that?

By the time I'm done fixing all the holes in the web
Eating the flies
And dropping down in front of the girl
That's scared of spiders
The day's over

Ohhh but she was a real somebody
Because she could write in her web

Here's a little newsflash for you

Every spider can web write

It's just that some of us don't like to show off

...And some of us do

I could write Pollyanna in my web
If I wanted to
But what then?

You end up scrapping the whole thing anyway
And that's if somebody doesn't come by with a broom first

Who needs it?

That's what I say--who needs it?

You know life is pretty awful

I had a friend who went up the water spout
Little guy, couldn't hurt a flea
Mostly because they don't fly
So it's hard to catch them in webs

Up he goes, and all of a sudden--BOOM!

Rainstorm

The sun came out later, and that's when they found him

They said he went up the spout again
But that's just how they spun it
So the kids wouldn't be upset

They flushed that guy with only two of his legs

I guess they could have tried to save him
But who wants to live like that?

That's what happens when you try to be a daredevil

A water spout?

He might as well have crawled into the toilet
And saved himself the agony

Me?  I'm staying right where I am

People don't remember me
They don't write books about me
They don't sing nursery rhymes
But they don't bother me either

I'm free to live my mostly meaningless life
Without being bothered by anything
Except the overwhelming sense
That I'm already dead

But what are you gonna do, you know?

I just hope when I go
They leave the web

I know they won't, but I hope they do

It's not fancy, no poems about cows written on it

But it's sturdy
It's well-made
It's my proudest accomplishment

It's my whole life

It's sad to think one day
It'll just be brushed aside

Like it was never there at all

No comments:

Post a Comment