Wednesday, March 21, 2012

And Another Town to Go

I've got a backpack
Full of shit
I thought I needed
Two towns ago

I've got opinions
I've got thoughts
I've got ideas
All about...things
Things I've never actually seen
Things I've heard are waiting
Waiting for me
In the next town

I can't carry much more than that
Not on my back
Not in my head
Not resting on the tip of my thumb

A heavy thumb
Won't slow anyone down
Won't make you look more attractive
To a guy or a girl
With an empty passenger seat
And a desire to help a stranger
Or just engage in open conversation

I've got streetlights for suns
Park benches for sofas
My backpack for my pillow
Typical bum, you know?

Except bums don't move

I move

I'm constantly moving

I wake up
I get going
I stop when I have to
When I absolutely have to

But most of the time
I don't stop

Occasionally I'm detained
Paused
Arrested
But that's out of my control

One day I'll roll into--wherever
And see a shop I like
Or a lawn that looks the right kind of green
Or a window
That I want to look out of
Instead of into and--wow that sounds creepy

What I mean is
One day I'll find home
And what I tell myself

--Because you have to tell yourself something--

What I tell myself
Is that it's in the next town

Because if it's not
Why go there?

Or, like, why keep going--at all?

So I say to myself--

I just have another town to go

One more town and I'm home free

One more town
And I'll be the only one
Stopping me

No comments:

Post a Comment