Saturday, March 3, 2012

Galaxy Grass

Here's where the grasshoppers lie
In the galaxy grass by the ferns
Waiting for a ship to come
And take them back

Here's where the dogs run wild
And ready for battle
Against the Fire Hydrants
Rising up from the ground

Hush, little child
Don't make a sound

We'll be safe here in the Galaxy Grass
Provided you're from Earth
And haven't been telling me tales
We won't fail to see amazing sights
At least one of these nights
In the Galaxy Grass
 
Blue dresses are worn here
And red baseball caps

And people speak
In a different way
You can hear it already
How my words want to play

There aren't any vegetables
No homework
No naps

Here you'll be stunned
When you sit in my lap
And see deer turn to statues
And statues to deer
I promise there isn't a place
Like this here

The stars come to visit
And they play with the mice
They find that the mice
Enjoying playing nice

The cats all prefer
To spend time with the moon
Because the moon can make animals
Out of balloons

And everyone here
Talks in rhyme
Or in verse

Though the structure may vary
Just to keep the verse terse

In the Galaxy Grass
Only grass grows
I'd tell you why
But nobody knows

It might be because
Grown-ups turn the grass gray
Because grown-ups aren't fun
And they don't like to play

Oh sure, this grown-up does
But the grass won't believe it
For other mean grown-ups
Have tried to deceive it

So sit here and watch
And then maybe one day
I'll let you go run through the grass
And you'll play

Through the dogs and the hydrants
The cats and the mice
You might lie with the grasshoppers
Heck, you might lie twice

And I'll watch
And I'll wait
For you to return

I'll watch while you wonder
And plunder
And learn

And I'll think back
To when it was my turn
And my grandparents brought me
Out here by the ferns

They looked like I look
And they smiled like I smile
And they waited for me
I was gone quite awhile

And when I came back
They asked if I had fun
And I said 'Yes--
But I'm sad that it's done'

And they told me one day
I'd come back again
With a kid of my own
And that would be when

I'd understand
How they felt
On that wonderful night

Left out, but happy
To re-see that light

Lit up in somebody else's small eyes
Near the ferns
In the grass
Where the grasshoppers lie

No comments:

Post a Comment