Saturday, March 3, 2012

Staircase in Decay

You can't get to the second floor
Which is a shame
Because it's lovely up there
It's just lovely

Of course, I'm speaking from past experience
From years ago
Before the staircase was in decay
When you could go up and down
Without even thinking about it
Without a second thought

So for all I know
It could be revolting up there now

I mean, the staircase is in decay
So I suppose the second floor could be as well

After all, nobody's been up there
So nobody's been cleaning
Or dusting
Or taking down the curtains
Or emptying the water in the fountain

Yes, there was a fountain
Two fountains, actually
Now that I think about it

And a petting zoo
Of course, the animals are probably all dead now
Most of them were dead to begin with
So I imagine they're all still dead

There was a miniature train
And a miniature train village
And a life-sized dump truck
That probably feels very fat
Amongst all that miniature hodgepodge

Oh, and then there's the jar of money
Several jars, actually
At least fourteen or fifteen

And that's not even including
The wall of money

It's just a wall
Made out of money

Often we used to say
When someone would want to borrow money
We'd say--

What do you think I have--a money wall?

And then we'd remember
That we did have a money wall
And we'd go to it
And give the money
To whomever asked for it

With all that money
I suppose I could buy a ladder
And climb up and down
Between the second floor and here

But that just seems
Like an awful lot of trouble
And also, my religion prevents me
From touching anything with rungs

I don't know what has rungs
Besides a ladder
But if I ever find anything
I'm not allowed to touch it

One day, before I die
I'll figure out another way
To get up to the second floor

Or maybe repair the staircase
That's in decay

And once I get up there
Maybe I'll be able
To figure out a way
To get to the third floor

Now that would be something

Because the third floor is--

Well, all I'll say is
It's really something

No comments:

Post a Comment