Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Angels with Other Ideas

I promised the kids milkshakes
But that was before
It started to rain

Now they're sitting in the car
Lucky for me
They like the windshield wipers
They're funny kids

I guess all kids are...

But mine are...

Finally found a pay phone
Only took me driving all over the state

But the kids behaved
Even when I had to get gas twice
All because of the milkshakes
Isn't that something?

...I heard your song on the radio the other day...

I stopped
I pulled over
So I could listen

I love that song

I combed my hair today
The way you like it
I even put on lipstick
Even though I was just going to work

I sat there at the restaurant
With my uniform on
And it was like...I couldn't focus on anything

So I said I was sick
And I left early

Picked the kids up at my Mom's
And then...

Just drove around, you know?

I wanted to call you
I always want to call you
But sometimes, you know
It's hard to get away

Two kids
Always next to you
Always looking at you
Wondering what you're doing
Asking when their Dad's coming home
And he's...

God, he's at that autoshop night and day

And what can I tell the kids?
That he can stay there
Because I don't want him home anyway?

I gave up smoking
...For about five seconds
Then I started again

Smoking out of my bathroom window
With the door closed
And the shower running
So my kids won't know

I don't mind it
Makes me feel like a teenager

Takes a lot to make me feel that way lately

Your music helps though
It does

...It does a lot, you know, it...

Well, this call's gonna run out
And I gotta get the kids their milkshakes so...

You know, maybe sometime
When they're older
All they'll remember about today is that
They rode around with their mom
And got milkshakes
And they won't even know, you know
How upset I am
How...

How frustrated that I...

It's going to be two different things

What it was
And what they remember

They're lucky, aren't they?

That they're never going to know

There's a lotta things
I'd like to not know

Well...

Maybe I'll hear from you soon, huh?

Wouldn't mind
Hearing the phone ring
On my end for a change

You know

If you get the chance

No comments:

Post a Comment