Tuesday, February 10, 2015

And My Husband Jim's Retired


He points out constellations
And I do the dishes

He went to this star and that star
And I scrape the plates

He tells our grandkids stories
And I empty out the dishwasher
And put a new load in

He stands in front of the telescope
Like it’s a loaded gun
And I dry my hands on a dish towel
And think of something to say

I’m a housewife, you see
And my husband Jim’s retired

I go to the market
I make us dinner
I chop carrots
I peel potatoes

And Jim scratches a rash on his arm
That wasn’t there a week ago

He asks me if I’ve noticed
That his left eye
Is now a different color
And I say I haven’t
I’ve never noticed, honestly
What color his left eye
Or his right eye is

He touches me at night
And his hands are cold

I kiss his fingers
And I taste something metallic
But I don’t say anything

I’m a silent partner
And my husband Jim’s retired

At parties, he can finish sentences
Right out of the mouths of strangers
People he’s never met before
And yet he knows them inside and out

On the way to my sister’s
We hit a deer with our car
He gets out and touches it
And the deer jumps up
And runs away

Can’t do anything about the car though
I guess deer are easier to fix

I burn the pork chops I’m making for dinner
And he eats them anyway
As long as it’s meat
He’ll swallow it whole and lick the plate clean

I’m a home cook
And my husband Jim’s retired

People ask me if he’s different
Since he got back from the last mission
And I say, ‘No, not really’
Because that’s all they want to hear

Nobody wants to know about the green freckles
All over his back
Or the way his nose seems to be sinking into his face
Or how when he sneezes, all the lights in the house
Go on and off

People wouldn’t believe it
Hell, Jim doesn’t even believe it
He says it’s getting older
And the signs of aging
And the lights are just blinking because our wiring’s all screwed up
And always has been

And I’m just supposed to be his wife
And to introduce myself as such

Hello, how are you?
Yes, I’m fine
This is my husband, Jim
He’s retired

I just keep doing what I’ve always done
Whether Jim was here
Or off in an orbit somewhere
Floating through the cosmos
I’ve just been here
Scraping mashed potatoes
Off white plates
Practicing saying—

‘I had a husband
But he never came back’

--Only then, he did

And now he sits in front of the window at night
Looking up at something only he can see

And I lay in bed thinking—

Who did they send back to me?

And somewhere downstairs
The dishwasher goes to sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment