Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Downtown Tattoos


The girl’s got downtown tattoos
All up and down her arms

She’s got a head on her shoulders
Filled with other people’s dreams
And a brand new car she can’t drive

Old books on her selves
That she’s never gonna read
And a bucket list
With a hole in it

And she says—

I’m gonna go somewhere
Somewhere nice
Where I can get snowed in

Call me a cab for the airport, baby
I’ll find a plane with my name on it

I got ink on my arm
That some boys find charming
And a smile worth more
That a mile of unpaid bills

I want to look out a window
And see the sun
From another side of my life

Scrape the dirt off my beat up luggage
And maybe wind up somebody’s wife

I want to wake up in a city
With a name I can’t pronounce
Next to someone
Who looks like a friend

For once I want to know
What feels like a beginning
Instead of just another end

Maybe I’ll put a few new tattoos on my arm
Something that makes me think
With a little uptown ink

No comments:

Post a Comment