Monday, February 9, 2015

Tracy Who Might Not Work Here

We’re not exactly sure if Tracy
Works here or not

If she does work here
Then she’s in big trouble
Because these documents
Were supposed to be in the mail last week
But if she doesn’t work here
Then I can see how she might have forgotten
To send them out

I mean, we’re all human
We all make mistakes

But there are other things
That aren’t getting done
And I can only really blame Tracy for that
Assuming she did, in fact, get hired
When she was supposed to have been hired
But then again
We were hiring her to be the person
In charge of hiring
Which has left us in a kind of paradox
We’re not sure how to get out of

It’s possible that Tracy thought to hire herself
You know, to, uh, take it upon herself
To be hired
If one can do such a thing
And if she did—as one does
Then I really have to speak with her
Because, though I would admire her determination
We really can’t have people hiring themselves
Willy nilly
When money right now is so tight

So while it would be fine for her to have hired herself
Because we need somebody to send out these documents
And also, to do the hiring of others
I feel it might set a scary precedent
That we would need to address immediately

The problem is
Addressing scary precedents
Or policies that we feel
May not be working
Is also the job of the person
In charge of hiring

So Tracy would need to address the precedent
She set
By hiring herself
And then decide what she wants to do about it

And, of course, that presents a conflict of interest
And I’m not really sure who’s in charge of conflicts of interest
But I hope it’s not Tracy
Or whoever would be in Tracy’s position
Because then the job would fall to me
And I’m in Barcelona all next week
Which means the problem wouldn’t be deal with
Until I get back
And by then the documents will be pretty much worthless
And the Head Office will be up my ass sideways

Maybe I can have Tracy call the Head Office
If she is, in fact, hired

But if she is, she has a lot to answer for
Because, as you can see, things are a mess around here

Documents aren’t being signed
People are hiring themselves
The coffeepot hasn’t been fixed
Even though I wrote Tracy several memos about it
And marked the last one as ‘Urgent’

So if Tracy does work here
I think we need to ask ourselves
If her employment is really working out
Or if we need to explore whether or not
This is the right place for her

And if it’s not
Then we need her to hire
Someone to fire her
Because the person in charge of firing
Is also the person in charge of hiring

Unless she can just fire herself?
Or would that be considered quitting?
I hope she can quit
Because I’m not sure we have someone
To sign off on severance pay

Or do we have someone?
Did we hire someone?
I can’t remember

I’ll have to send Tracy a memo
After I find out whether or not
She actually works here

Wait, I’m not Tracy

…Am I?

Wow, that would be
A big problem

No comments:

Post a Comment