Monday, February 16, 2015

Stolen Apples


Nowadays they don’t steal cash
They got red apples on their mind
Stolen apples
Baskets of ‘em in the grass

They hide in the shadows of the orchards
Behind the trees
Beneath the branches
And they whisper
Until they get their chance

See, we ain’t used to having apples
Not the way they used to do
And the orchards saved for rich folks
People we’re not allowed to go speaking to
We don’t believe we’re owed their money
But an apple
What’s an apple?
Hanging from a tree

If nobody picks it
It just sits up there
And rots

So we steal ‘em
I guess that makes us
Thieves

Your daddy lit your house on fire
My mother ran off when I was five
History’s tricky
It belongs to everybody
And nobody
And it just sits there
Either you pick it
Or it rots

That scar from where they shot you
Gets smaller everyday
But no matter how it shrinks, you know
It never goes away

One day you won’t need me
To tend to all your wounds
To steal your apples
Or slice them up
And feed them
To you

I like the way your legs look running
I like to hear you gasp for air
See you trying
See you wanna be alive

I watch you scale the tallest tree
And drop the treasures down
It rains fruit and laughter
As the apples hit the ground

I pretend that we’re allowed here
Then I hear the alarms go off
And grab the apples
And we go running
And dogs come running
But we don’t drop them
Our stolen apples
Or else what was all this for?

I want to kiss you before I die
See one more summer, one more fall
I want to bake an apple pie
And—Well, that’s about all

If they get me, get the apples
Get as many as you can
And just keep running
Don’t look behind you
Never look behind you
We both agreed
So climb a tree

Nobody knows what they’ll die for
They just know they’re gonna die

For freedom
Or for love
Or youth
Or stolen apples

At least make sure that you got to hold
Whatever it is you’re dying for
In your hands
Before you go

I’ve got my apple
The one you gave
To me

No comments:

Post a Comment