Monday, February 9, 2015

The Bathroom Floor


I hate being sober
I mean, I fucking hate it

I enjoyed being a drunk
I know it’s not for everybody
But everything’s gotta be for somebody, right?

Somebody’s gotta be the mess
And somebody’s gotta like being the mess
That’s the way I look at it

I should have died a long time ago
In a dirty hotel room
On a dirty bathroom floor
Surrounded by towels
That don’t belong to anybody

What could be more comforting than that?

But I just couldn’t do that
To some poor maid

If my ex-husband could’ve found me
Maybe I would have felt differently
But he’d been dead for years at that point
So why bother?

I been in a lot of hotel rooms
Some nicer than others

I been in a lot of dressing rooms
Some nicer than others

I kissed a lot of men
…Some a lot nicer than others

And I know what a finish line looks like
Every good runner does

And a long time ago
I saw a finish line
And I thought I was done

Said, I’m gonna cross there
And that’s gonna be it for me
I’ll have made it
As far as I’m gonna go

I touched the tape
I heard the crowd roar
Got flowers put around my neck
Like a prize winner
And I laid down
Ready to get shot

But nothin’ happened

I looked around
Got up
And started walking

You ever finish a race
And keep walkin?

What else you gonna do, right?

It’s not like somebody’s waiting there for you
With a wheelchair

You cross the finish line
And they expect you to keep going
And if you don’t got it in you
That’s just too bad for you, ain’t it?

‘Cause the world don’t stop spinning
And ain’t nothin’ finished
Just because you’re finished

Just because you got nothin’ left

So I kept movin’
Tellin’ stories
Spinnin’ songs
Waiting for another finish line

Waiting for somebody to show up
With that wheelchair
Tell me to take a load off
Let me put my feet up

And just go to sleep, you know?

On some cool bathroom floor
Surrounded by towels

No comments:

Post a Comment